Friday, December 8, 2017

Smoke on the Water - Day 3 of our Canada Road Trip

The smoke caught up to us - and my track record as the ultimate tour guide came to an abrupt halt.  On the third day of our Canada road trip, focused on sites near Jasper, smoke from the forest fires to the south obscured anything at a distance.
The sight-seeing brochure says "Welcome to one of the most picturesque
spots in the Canadian Rockies.  Nestled between Leah Peak, Samson
Peak and Mount Paul on the left, and Mounts Charlton, Unwin,
Mary Vaux and Llysfran Peak to the right, Maligne Lake offers  
unlimited photographic potential."  Not on August 15.
With no other choice, I put all my attention on objects close at hand.
But on our next stop, I felt somewhat redeemed. Just when I thought we had witnessed the mother of all canyons in this region (see previous post), we strolled the mesmerizing trails of Maligne Canyon.  

At the waterfalls near the First Bridge, the Maligne River flows at a few cubic meters per second on an average June day. Below the Sixth Bridge, up to 45 cubic meters per second can pass out of the canyon.  The additional water comes from springs between the Fourth and Fifth Bridges, turning the meandering Maligne River into a torrent of rushing water.
Underground spring joining the Maligne River
The Maligne River originates from Medicine Lake, which can be likened to a giant leaky bathtub. It drains through a potentially enormous underground cave system, re-surfacing about 16 km downstream, through springs along the walls of Maligne Canyon.  The water can take less than 12 hours, during peak run-off times, or as long as 88 hours during the winter, to complete its underground journey.
Note water dripping from sides of canyon

 





On our way back to Jasper, we ventured to Pyramid Lake, only a few miles from the town center.  A normal day would showcase the jagged edges of Pyramid Mountain, but I didn't take a single picture since the smoke completely hid the beauty from view.  I mentally battled to conquer my disappointment, sprung from a desire to reveal these vistas to my Mom and sister.  I will be here again; they probably won't.

We had a pleasant evening in Jasper - no more driving but plenty of moseying around on the hunt for souvenirs.

For dinner, we landed at the Olive Bistro, a quirky restaurant just a few blocks from our hotel.

Passage of time, aided by shopping therapy, drinks and dinner - it was enough to vaporize my attitude about the smoke.

"We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.  I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."  Charles R. Swindoll

Linked to
Floral Friday Fotos

Mosaic Monday


Nature Notes

Our World Tuesday

Outdoor Wednesday
Outdoor Wednesday logo

19 comments:

  1. You certainly found the beauty of the region. Enjoyed your photos. I hope to get up into some other parts of Canada I've never been in after we move to northeastern Washington. Have a Merry weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I was hiking along with you - from the flowers along the trail to the hot dinner that followed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what a berutiful and interesting place. So many things to investigate and document. I would love to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A canyon with waterfalls!! Wow! I can imagine its beauty. Were you able to get close to any of the waterfalls or the lake/pool that it creates? The food looks delicious. Yeah, that fire in California is simply horrible. Beautiful quote at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very beautiful water images here. So well composed, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great trip! I hope you enjoyed your dinner with your new neighbors. :) Have a lovely Montana Holiday Season! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much depends on dinner! A good one can change my attitude too. You still saw plenty of beauty and I know your family was not disappointed. Scary thinking about fires these days -- that good quote notwithstanding,.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! That's quite a road trip! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your positive outlook and that last quote. Things have been 'challenging' for me today so I need to memorize that quote! LOVE seeing the waterfalls and those shirts sure are cute! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie, What a great post. Good for you to take a positive spin. Have a great day. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your final quote wonderfully sums up how you reimagined this trip for your Mom and sister, you didn't let the smoke get in your eyes and spoil what must have been an amazing time together. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the smoke! In British Columbia, in particular, and here also Alberta we saw forest fires this year, and recently California burning again.
    I'm glad you were able to find beauty beneath the smoke.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maligne Canyon is such a beautiful place. I haven't been there for quite some years.
    Yes, the smoke obscured a lot of sights this year. Our boating trip to Princess Louisa Inlet was a bit disappointing for that reason. Like you, I decided to focus on the smaller beauties in range.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...Angie, your trip reminds me of my many trips to the Adirondack Mountains, but smoke has never been feature. Thanks for sharing the beauty of nature, enjoy this and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, what an awesome hike. The views are just beautiful. I love the waterfalls. The food looks delicious. Great quote.
    Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy the tones of colour that mountain water takes one, so beautiful, and peaceful. Your shopping and dining had to be quite a pleasure. Have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous area for enjoying nature!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.. You wrote this very well..
    IFTTT Best Application For Every Android User

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh all the fires all over and I fear there will be more. I’m glad that you were able to get to see some of Mother Nature’s beauty. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. They mean a lot to me... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...