Saturday, February 2, 2019

Mosaic Monday #13 - A Different Window


Do you make New Year's resolutions?  Many people enter January as a time of renewal and deem it appropriate to select some resolutions.  Others eschew the practice as a fabricated custom that rarely succeeds.  This dichotomy triggered consideration of the difference between resolutions and goals.  If the word "resolution" has such a negative connotation for folks, would it be more welcome to characterize them as goals?


Resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something
Synonyms: intention, aspiration, design, purpose, plan, commitment, pledge, undertaking


Goal: the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result
Synonyms: grail, target, intention, aspiration, wish, dream, hope, raison d'etre
I may be splitting hairs, but it seems to me that the word 'goal' implies a medium- to long-term plan, an objective that can be sub-divided into bite-sized chunks that enable achievement.  A 'resolution' appears more binary - either you do it or you don't.  What do you think?

So, while I might have preferred to focus on goals rather than resolutions, I believe I have a few of each for 2019.  Here they are.

GOALS

  1. Skype monthly with each of my siblings
  2. Tidy the utility room.  I am sure you have a room like this - a 'dumping
    ground' visitors don't usually see that lets you keep the rest of the house uncluttered.  Well, in our case, it's that AND some boxes from the move that were put here "to be dealt with later".  That "later" is now.
  3. Engage in true charity.  In January, I attended a women-only event at our church.  As part of the program, each attendee blindly picks a piece of paper from a basket, and it contains a virtue to focus on throughout the year.  I received "True Charity" - "true charity requires courage.  Let us overcome the fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need".  I am still praying to discern what God is telling me with this … but I am pretty sure that He is ready for me to stop thinking and start DOING.
  4. Archive my blog onto a flash drive or a remote drive
  5. Reach out regularly to distant friends via text or email



RESOLUTIONS

  1. One day a week without technology.  This one has already evolved.  Given
    Drawing - with help from Josie
    that I use my phone for even the simplest of tasks, such as checking the weather, I realized this was an unrealistic notion.  I mentioned it to Spousal Unit, and he asked a very insightful question - "What are you actually trying to accomplish?"  I want to make time for non-computer activities, such as knitting, jigsaw puzzles, drawing, reading, time with friends, etc.  So I have created a list of these activities, and dedicate a day a week to executing one or more of them.
  2. Sit upstairs every other day.  This may seem an odd idea, but I have found that I tend to sit in the same dining room chair, or the same spot on the couch.  This resolution is about changing my perspective, looking out a different window, fully utilizing the house.  I will probably change this one as well, since I have recently discovered that I get a much better view of my bird feeders from the couch on the lower level …
  3. Daily reflection using Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman.  I felt my approach to daily prayer was stale - this simple book has injected a Bible-based freshness that is inspirational.
  4. Drink 64 ounces of water a day (well, any form of liquid - but coffee and wine don't count, folks!)
  5. Practice piano for 30 minutes every third day.

What are your plans for 2019?  1 month down and 11 to go!




Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Monday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us.
 
Inlinkz Link Party

39 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good bunch of resolutions and goals.
    I don't make any. Just try to make the most of each day and not waste any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good goals and resolutions. Even on an RV trip I can't get away from technology. We use it for GPS, I look up campgrounds on an iPad app, we call for reservations, I "have" to check email and of course my blog posts. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am participating in Lettermo, a month where we communicate via letters not electronic means...but still blogging 😊 I am not a big fan of resolutions but am hoping to finish already started projects this year. Your upstairs chair looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were both great lists and I’m sure you can do whatever you set your mind on doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy February! No, I don't worry about goals or resolutions anymore. I just live and do what I want and what brings joy to me and mine. Like right now, I am in the same spot I always sit in, watching our blizzard and sipping coffee. Just perfect! :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admittedly do not make resolutions, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Do I make New Year's resolutions? NOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very thoughtful post. It is great that you can go forward with intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think goals are something that I need to right down on a list and tick off, though they can be long term goals too, like writing a book..... or getting those photo books done.... Resolutions the lines are a little more blurred....like walking every day... is that a goal or a resolution? All that being said I think your goals and resolutions are highly achievable, though resolutions you have to consciously put aside time for. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Resolutions are one of those things I make on NYE and then promptly ignore! I do have plans though, and some of mine are similar to yours. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie - thanks for your kind visit and for linking such lovely photo collages to Mosaic Monday! I visited your blog but was unable to leave a comment as it seems the comments are disabled? Hope you get some cooler weather and precipitation soon!

      Delete
    2. Angie, thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog. I think I have got the comments sorted and thanks for letting me know about them as I have a bit of trouble sorting things out in blogland.

      Delete
  11. I regularly make and evaluate goals, but I never make resolutions. I enjoyed reading yours, though, and commend you on thinking so thoughtfully about them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Angie
    I also make goals but rarely make resolutions, because as to quote John Lennon: "Life is what happens when I am busy making other plans." Too often things seem to happen that disrupt or enhance or change my plans. I just seem to be too busy at times to keep resolutions and I don't want to stress about that. I do love your lists -- I do try to do many of the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Angie,
    I have stopped to make New Year's resolutions because usually I could not keep them and ended in bad feelings about myself - this when I was younger :) i do have ideas and intentions to do this or that. This suits me better. Then I have to-do lists on endless subjects.
    Wishing you a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Angie - I read your discourse on “resolution” and “goal” with great interests. I prefer “goal” to “resolution”. I think I hadn’t made resolutions other than on success to entrance examination or acquiring certificates in my life. This would be life-attitude recent years; I’d like to keep my house uncluttered, be thankful and enjoy each moment with my families and friends, and become better person with each passing day. Oh, I have one resolution, I’ll keep updating my blog at least once a month. Your utility room is tidier than my storage. Your drawing (for embroidery?) is so nice. Keep up the good piano practice.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really make new year resolutions. I do like goals though, to strive for. I can just imagine what the windows upstairs in your home reveal. I think I would sit up there always and gaze upon all that amazing scenery that is revealed through those upper windows of yours. I must say you are a very brave woman to reveal your utility room to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I do not make resolutions, maybe goals. But, I take each day as it comes. Life is short and I want more fun days to do whatever I want. We downsized a few years ago thinking we were moving. So now we have less which is a good thing. My goal is no hurries, no worries. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and have a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy MosaicMonday... again Monday, again here with joy!

    Making a goal is always alright for me! Thank you for hosting. Wish you a very good Week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your strategy sounds good, Angie, and I hope it works for you. For many years I made New Year's resolutions and I set goals, which worked out more or less well. Having eased into semi-retirement now, I have the luxury of making "plans". These sometimes work out, other times they don't as life gets in the way. The important thing is to to try and help those who need it around you - be they family, friends or even perfect strangers, while also trying to save some time for oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting Angie! Hope your week is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking at things through a different perspective, from an unusual viewpoint is always a good idea. Perhaps that is goal enough for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've made some wonderful resolutions for the year and it will help you keep track of what you're doing and how you spend your time...which we know it so important! I am linked this week! YAY! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. I went the way of Resolutions. Keeping it simply to writing more of the short form genre poem call Tanka. And yes i have been keepibg up so far at my blig Lunch Break at at Facebook

    Happy Mosaic Monday

    Much💟love

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning Angie. I've been behind lately. I appreciated reading your goals. Very inspiring. I like how you separated goals from resolutions. I have not spent time putting together a thought out list of goals or resolutions. I have started a reading through the Bible in a year plan that is going well and making my morning routine more consistent. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I especially like the way your no-tech resolution has evolved to something positive and doable (and that you are flexible in adapting as you go along rather than giving up completely. ). I’m working with the links administrator and hope to join again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny how we, humans, are that we'll more likely to accomplish something if we say it's a goal rather than a resolution. Same thing with the word objective. Once upon a time I had to spell out my objectives for completing a goal. Anyway, this year I resolve to complete the goals I've had the last two years, one being to clear out the garage so that the stuff in the storage locker can be put there. It would probably be a good idea if I copy-cat your #4 goal. More power to you Angie with your goals and resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I need to do #4 on goals list, and #2 is fascinating Change your perspective. Put down your phone and explore other activities. The phone/computer is insidious... sneaks up on you timewise.
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck with your goals and resolutions. My goal is to say yes more often.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've stopped making resolutions, I never keep them.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's an interesting piece Angie. I can see how goals and resolutions are very much alike with just small differences. Must admit, I don't set any other than on an hourly, daily or weekly basis. Life's too short to set what are often impossible goals.

    Shame about Number 4, but I do need to perhaps drink less red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful mosaics, I love the way you have done them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful goals reflected here ~ may you succeed at all of them ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  32. One of these days I need to figure out how to do a mosaic so I can join your Monday linky.

    I've always thought of resolutions and goals as more or less the same thing. I do like your resolutions, especially to go a day without technology or less technology. After a few days off the computer, I look back and see how much more I get done without checking email or googling for something.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i do not make resolutions, although i enjoyed reading all about the "changes" you would like to make...some are quite interesting and thoughtful!!

    i do not have a disconnect day, i LOVE the upstairs chair and if i drank that much water i would surely be changing my view to the bathroom!! i enjoyed this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like the resolutions and goals that you have for yourself. I gave up on resolutions years ago but I do have some goals that I always strive to achieve. I too, do sit in the same chair all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. lol, a great post. Seems like a good idea with a day without technology. Hope you manage to stick to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. My resolution is always the same: drop a couple of kilos...but it seems to be so difficult!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...