Sunday, February 16, 2020

Mosaic Monday #67: Feelin' the Love

Hand-made card from Dear Neighbor Friend
I am not an attention seeker.  More often, I can be found in the background, working diligently.  Given a choice between entertaining a sizeable gathering or a cup of coffee with a close friend, the one-on-one chit-chat would win every time.  But everyone wants to feel special occasionally, particularly when that occasion is one's birthday!!!  This year, my birthday coincided with the last weekend of Whitefish Winter Carnival, and due to my responsibilities associated with the Carnival, I was not going to be home for much of the weekend.  With that in mind, my Dear Neighbor Friend (DNF) stopped by a couple of days earlier to drop off my birthday present.









In the days leading up to my birthday, she made a point of telling me that my presents would not be items to gather dust, so I alternated between laughing and crying when I removed the tissue paper from the bag and saw the pile of cinnamon buns, as well as the ingredients for sausage gravy and biscuits.  She sure knows the way to my heart (it's through my stomach)!

When I could finally tear my eyes from the delicious food, I quickly became overwhelmed by the hand-made card.  DNF drew her inspiration from flip books that she created with her students, but the rest of it reflects my life.  I was so touched.  
Each page of the card has a picture and a phrase that finishes the sentence.
And the sentences build upon one another.  The full card says:
This is the neighbor that skis and kayaks, emails and walks, hikes and visits
with the wife
that loves the husband
that feeds the kids
that adore the cat
that ignores the bird
that flits in the trees
behind the home
that Neal built.

Isn't it just incredibly clever and adorable?  DNF - thank you for the wondrous start to my birthday!

The next day, the Whitefish Winter Carnival weekend began in earnest.  The Carnival, now in its 61st year, has a storied tradition that includes royalty, Yetis, Viking Divas, penguins and much more.  (You can read more about the legend here.)  Each year, a button is designed to represent the chosen Carnival theme.  My role in the Carnival involved the design and sale of the buttons. With a theme of The Roaring 2020's, the button featured the classic gold-on-black, art deco, Gatsby-esque look.  

The Friday night Gala is a significant fund-raiser for the Carnival, and attendees come dressed in keeping with the Carnival theme.  A button is required for entry, so I manned the door to sell buttons to anyone that didn't already possess one.  It was the ideal spot to see everyone in their full 2020's regalia!  As most readers know, Spousal Unit and I never miss an opportunity to dress up, and this was no exception!
Carnival Weekend reaches its peak with the Grand Parade on Saturday afternoon.  Whitefish Mountain Resort sponsors a float, and since it is populated by Mountain Ambassadors, Spousal Unit and I were in the Parade!  
Spousal Unit (center) with two other Ambassadors, waiting for parade to
start.  Float - "Hellroaring Speakeasy"-  is on the left
For the record, I do not own any furs.  The fur and 
stole were loaned to me by the mother of one of
the Ambassadors
It has been at least 35 years since I was in a parade, and I forgot how much fun it is.  Hundreds of people throng the sidewalks.  The kids are poised to pounce on the candy that scatters along the pavement as if Johnny Appleseed was sowing it.  Parents keep one hand on the kids and one eye on the entertainment passing by - an almost impossible albeit admirable feat.  Everyone gets into the spirit, waving and shouting and pretending to be a gangster or a flapper.  For our efforts, some of us get our pictures in the paper!  Now, is that a birthday present or what?

In between all of this frivolity, I was fulfilling my normal duties as an Ambassador, including skiing tours on the mountain.  Suffice it to say that I was pretty exhausted by the time the end of the parade rolled around.

It was delightful to return home, shower and throw on my pajamas. In some cases, this was the first opportunity to read birthday texts and listen to phone greetings that had come in during the day. Several birthday cards also awaited me, adding to the warm, well-loved feeling.
I slept well.  I might have dreamed about Yetis breaking into the speakeasy and kidnapping us, but if I did, I don't remember it.  What I do recall is that Head Chef brought me breakfast in bed.  One of my favorite breakfast meals - smoked salmon with caper sauce - served on toast, it was accompanied by breakfast potatoes and steaming coffee.  Aaahhhh.  Now my birthday was complete.


Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Monday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us.
 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

38 comments:

  1. I'll be back later to link up but wanted to say this first.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY even if it is late and I love LOVE love the card! What a precious gift. That made my day and it wasn't even for me. The party looks like a blast and I must say Angie, you looked fabulous! Absolutely gorgeous my dear.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny costumes. Do you have Büttenreden = deckle talk too?
    Thank you for sharing.

    To your question about the rubber duck: I found it on a hedge during my way home.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    Heidrun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...let me say is you aren't an attention seeker, I'd have you beat any day. I'd have to be drugged to be dressed in other than my jeans and t-shirts. It's great to hear that you had a great B and V Day! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiest of birthdays my friend!! What a great celebration! I remember the parade. We went when we lived in Kalispell. Fun time! I am glad you had a great time. 💕 Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post with lots of happy memories. Happy Birthday and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a wonderful time!! Good for you! Have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday!! What a wonderful way to spend your birthday weekend. Fantastic present and card from your neighbour. You and your husband looked fantastic dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday from all of us! It sounds like a wonderful Birthday and such a special friend you have. That carnival sure sounds like lots of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Angie! What a wonderful way to celebrate! You did a wonderful job on the carnival buttons and I loved seeing you and your husband dressed in your roaring 20s costumes. What fun to be in a parade!
    What a wonderful friend and neighbor you have --her card is precious and those rolls looked fabulous.
    It's been snowing and snowing here....we are a winter wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated BD Angie ... what a wonderful weekend celebration...they put on a whole Winter Carnival just for you! Wow. )) (and you deserved it, even if it isn’t quite totally true). Gosh that Carnival looks like a wonderful event and you two look fabulous...very Scott and Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet sweet Birthday card for you. Belated Birthday wishes---Happiness always. I just love the idea. You look smashing as a flapper girl. Excellent!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to you Angie! You look so elegant & chic and the birthday card was really sweet. Happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, the carnival, parade and costumes looks like fun. The card is great and button look cute. Happy Belated Birthday! Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many happy returns of your special day, Angie, always surrounded by those who are near and dear to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A perfect way to celebrate your birthday, Angie. You all look wonderful in your finery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Angie and Happy Mosaic Monday to everyone

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are the only person I know that looks great in a hiking outfit AND dressed to the nines! WOW! What fun! Happy Birthday sweet lady! Have a wonderful week...keep celebrating! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a creative birthday card. Teachers have amazing ways to tell a story and make people happy. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, Angie! I love your flapper dress and you look lovely and smashing in it, dawhling. What a wonderful and fun way to celebrate a birthday. Cheers, Angie! Whoooo-hoooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAPPY Birthday, Angie! That birthday card from your friend is a real treasure. You and your husband look great in your 20s getups.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you had fun! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Valentine swap is fun. 15 yrs ago we made and sent out 45 Valentine's but this year it is down to only 9---still fun. The gal who runs it is in Missouri and her name is Sue Neitzal and she is on FB now. If you remember next year look her up or remind me.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like lots of fun! Happy birthday to you and loved the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated birthday! What a very clever and dear card your neighbor made for you. I love it. Look at how dapper and beautiful the two of you look in your spiffy costumes! What a fun event. You are one busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday Angie, late I'm affraid. Don't you look scrumptious, love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday Angie, if a little late. There's a few good looking dudes in that parade. I'd have to raid the fancy dress hop to better those outfits. Full marks to Spousal Unit for that special breakfast, yumm. Smoked Salmon is a special treat for us too, but a little expensive to eat every day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great present from your DNF! Hope you had a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i have learned from the younger girls in my life, that you can celebrate a "birthday week" isn't that wonderful!! so happy birthday, it's not over yet!!!

    i think your neighbors card was amazing, hand crafted cards and gifts are the best!! well...breakfast in bed ain't too shabby either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday! What a great celebration :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Belated Birthday! Your neighbour is so thoughtful. Perfect food and amazing card! Great job designing the button. It looks fantastic and you two look amazing! After all the activity, you must have been exhausted, but what an great way to celebrate!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  31. A belated Happy Birthday. You have such a great thoughtful neighbor. I love the buttons and you dressing up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Belated Birthday and what a birthday you ~ love them all and you and hubby look dazzling dressed up for the gala ~ Wonderful post and photos ~ thanks ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post Angie :)

    Many Happy Belated Birthday Wishes.
    What a lovely way to spend your birthday weekend.
    You and your husband looked fantastic dressed up.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just look at you and your spousal unit all dressed up to kill! You both look totally glamorous. This is a wee bit late but I hope you had a fabulous birthday. What a wonderful lady your neighbour is! That little book is so very clever and yes, she certainly knows you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Strange "water hack" burns 2 lbs overnight

    More than 160k men and women are trying a simple and secret "liquid hack" to burn 1-2lbs each night while they sleep.

    It is scientific and works with everybody.

    You can do it yourself by following these easy steps:

    1) Go grab a clear glass and fill it up half glass

    2) Now follow this crazy hack

    so you'll be 1-2lbs skinnier the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Easy "water hack" burns 2 lbs OVERNIGHT

    Over 160,000 women and men are trying a simple and secret "liquids hack" to lose 1-2 lbs each night in their sleep.

    It is very easy and works with anybody.

    Just follow these easy step:

    1) Go get a clear glass and fill it up half glass

    2) Now learn this strange hack

    and be 1-2 lbs skinnier as soon as tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...