Sunday, May 31, 2020

Mosaic Monday #82: Emerging

Serviceberry, naturally occurring on
our property
As I looked back over the month of May, the word “emerging” popped into my brain.  Spring flowers erupting from the earth.  Birds flocking to the northern climes.  Spousal Unit and I, re-entering the world like a tortoise tentatively poking its head out of its shell.  In fact, so much occurred during the 31 days of May that I will be breaking this post into two parts!

The first glacier lilies were barely gracing Montana’s barren hillsides, and my brother in Ohio texted me a plethora of flowers that he had snapped in his neighborhood.  I could practically inhale the warm earthy smell of my youth, and taste the honeysuckle on my lips.

Despite our three years in Montana, we are still learning the mountains that are suitable for spring hikes.  Firefighter Lookout on May 1 was not one of them.  Check out these comparison pictures – the top is May 1, and the bottom is May 25, taken in exactly the same location.  How many differences can you see?  1. Snow is gone.  
2.  My head barely reaches the bottom of the sign – that shows you how deep the snow was.  3.  There are four vehicles in the picture, one of which is ours.  On May 1, we could not drive to this point; we had to walk a mile and a half to get here.  Now that the snow is gone, this is a popular hike!


With the weather on a warming trend, it was time to buy some ankle-length hiking socks.  At the same time, I purchased a new phone holder that can clip to my backpack.  (Typically, I kept my phone in a zipper pocket that is on the belt of my backpack.  But every time I take off the pack and set it down, I have to be sure to take out the phone to avoid damaging it.  Also, that zipper pocket is hard to close one-handed, which creates an annoying hassle when I am usually holding two trekking poles in my hand.  This is a major improvement!)


Spring also signifies the return of Man with Hat.  Well, Hat may soon need to be Hat 2.  A little more sweat and a little more sun, and it might just fall apart.  I recently made emergency repairs so that Man would have Hat for fishing the next day.  I think it was lucky Hat that helped him net this massive cutthroat trout.
Hat does not look much better after the repair, but I 
didn't have a lot to work with!  You'll be happy to know
this trout is still swimming around in Glacier Lake!

On a per capita basis, Montana has had one of the lowest COVID infection rates in the US, and I give credit to the governor for setting the standard and to Montana citizens for following it.  When Spousal Unit came home with this Danish from Wheat Montana Bakery & Deli on May 4, it felt like such a luxury.  He had to make a special stop.  He had to put on his mask again.  Should we be indulging like this?  Yes!

In late April, my Mom was admitted to the hospital for reasons not related to COVID.  In one of our many conversations, she mentioned that one of her geraniums had died.  Through my sister the florist, I arranged for a flower arrangement with a geranium to be delivered to the skilled nursing facility that aided her transition from the hospital back to her own house on May 11.  She was over the moon.  So, it was a no-brainer that I should draw a geranium as part of her hand-made Mother’s Day card.
I used one of Sylvia's birdies for the front of the card.
My own Mother's Day was glorious, with breakfast on the back deck, cards, calls from our kids, and a sumptuous dinner.

The month brought other opportunities for me to express my crafty side.  Two of the grandchildren of my Dear Neighbor Friend celebrated birthdays during the month, and I was pleased to make them personalized cards.  I completed my Violet Protest square on May 6 and sent it off to Maggy Hiltner, who has organized a Montana display at Honey's Café in Red Lodge.

On May 4, our governor allowed for phased re-opening of restaurants, with only 50% dining capacity and other requirements.  We gave it a week, and then thought carefully about an establishment that has the space to distance diners, and the resources to do it properly.  What a treat to eat out at the Montana Club, especially for Head Chef, who has tired of the endless cooking!
Despite the re-opening, we have continued our practice of team cooking, including biryani and naan bread on May 13, and tartlets and cauliflower fritters on May 22.
Biryani and Naan Bread

Chicken Cranberry Brie Tartlets
Cauliflower Fritters
Hopefully, all this talk of food has left you hungry for more - come back next week for part 2 of this month's re-cap!



Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Monday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us.
 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

37 comments:

  1. As much as I would have wanted to be a "freer" spirit the last month I have no complaints as I could still take my river walk and that is good enough for me right now. You always have such beautiful photos and it causes me to wish I could travel back to Montana. Soon maybe. Have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to look back over the month and celebrate the everyday things as well as those special days like Mothers Day. Will be back to link up soon but now it's time for dinner, see you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humorous written with the serious note to the situation. We have to hope and may make the best of each day. I enjoyed reading. I'm exciting the next part.

    You rescued the hat and it looks good again...

    ...stay healthy and well, dear blogfriend.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...it's going to take a long long time before I will feel comfortable eating in a restaurant. Until then, we are dining in. Thanks Angie for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been an eventful month. I love the smell of honeysuckle and the mountain laurel but it drives my allergies bonkers. What a difference 25 days makes on the mountain. Safe hiking my friend.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice big bunch of yum and a nice big trout too. I'm glad your Mom is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful to hike the countryside. It was a long time before spring arrived here too.
    Tasty looking food. Good for you to be able to dine out. What a treat. We are looking forward to that time.
    Sweet cards and drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you seem to have a lot to carry on that hike. I see you had Mothers day. We are behind you in that. We celebrate last Sunday in May. :)
    Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear your Mum is ok and lovely to see nature waking up for spring, that was a good size trout to catch. The man might need a new hat soonish!! Love the card you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful month with so much to see and enjoy. Happy to hear you could cheer your dear mom on with that plant and card. Glad she is home now. What a treat it is to go out to a restaurant again and enjoy someone else's creativity in the kitchen. Love your sketches. Did you get that huge storm rolling through your place? It was quite a sight to see here in our neck of the woods. Adieu to May! Hope June treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also remember the sweet taste of honeysuckle--it grew along the fence where I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. We used to pick the flowers and taste the sweet nectar that dripped from it. Your cards are very creative and your husband's meal sound very gourmet! I'm glad to hear your mother is feeling better and enjoyed her new geranium. I am alos a gernanium admirerier!
    Out Covid numbers were going down but sadly all the protests going on now will probably cause a resurgence in a few weeks. Our first Covid cases were brought in through our international airport and the ski resort tourists that came from Italy and Australia and people coming back from European cruises. It was amazing how fast it spread before the" stay at home" order took effect. I hope it doesn't resurge in the fall. Scary times for us as we are "at risk" seniors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, May has flown by. I am glad you were able to go out for a hike. The flowers are gorgeous. The card you made is cute and I like the squares. We have only done carry-out so far, we will wait to dine in. I am looking forward to when it will be safe to travel again. The food looks delicious! Thanks for hosting MM. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very enjoyable post once again, Angie, good to see you're getting ready for hikes galore as the weather improves! Lovely Mother's Day cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I share your appreciation of your State Government, Angie. We have a conservative government here and its response was immediate and draconian when it came to restrictions to curb COVID-19 spread. Our low number of deaths is the result. As we also see the lifting of restrictions here, many people go overboard and openly flout whatever restrictions remain. Unfortunately, idiots still abound everywhere. Enjoy your Summer and the increased freedom it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Angie - Looks like your May life was eventful as always. In my part of the world, May is a perfect time to go out for fun in the sun. Just right weather with some of summer days. The emerging flowers one after another make me feel fragrant air. I learned how the beginning and the end of May is different at the mountain. I like your Mother’s Day both as a daughter and a mother. Restaurants were opened again here, too, but I don’t feel like dining out for the time being. Take care and have fun.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nice to get to do some of the things we've been missing. We don't eat out much but I would like to have a restaurant cooked meal soon! lol Love your pretty cards that you made. I used blank cards to create some special cards too. Enjoy your week! Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The handmade cards to your mom are awesome and so much more meaningful than the store bought kind. I actually created a joyful hobby out of my daughter's drawings that has lasted for many years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations are due to your State...for having a good Governor and for following the recommendations carefully made. And what a beautiful home and neighborhood you have ...whether under “quarantine” or coming out of it. Enjoyed everything you shared virtually (although quite happy I had just finished a good breakfast ... had I been even the least bit hungry your wonderful food photos and descriptions might have been lethal!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That danish looks yummy. I found some homemade coffee cake in my freezer that I forgot about. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You Flowers are beautiful and all the food makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was good to read that your Mum is ok.
    Lovely cards you've made.
    Delicious sounding and looking food, especially the Chicken Cranberry Brie Tartlets and Cauliflower Fritters.
    We only have take out available in the UK, I think it will be another few weeks before restaurants/cafes are allowed to be open ad I think most people will be apprehensive about using them ... time will tell.

    I enjoyed this post …

    Wishing you a happy new month of June.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your geranium story! Glad that spring arrived and your man caught a big trout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel like a tortoise poking it's head out too. We have only ventured out on short walks and not too distant from home, and I feel wary of meeting people from other parts of our state - even family! It is good though to get out and you can enjoy your spring weather. Something is blocking your link up? I can't access it. Sorry. Have a great week and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. the link is back - but it has closed - missed again this week. I need to be more organised.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello my friend! So glad you are doing well. Isn't spring in Montana glorious? My roses are just starting to bloom and my Mountain Bluet. That is great you could get your mother a geranium. I plant pink geraniums in all my pots. I love them! We still haven't gone out to eat, but we pick up take out and support our local restaurants. Hard to believe we are already in June. You have a great month. Take care, Kit

    ReplyDelete
  26. Angie, Thanks for sharing about your yard and plants. Loved the little bird card. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely nature post and photos ~ what a fish!

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Angie. I think Spousal Unit should make a starring guest post on your blog. Such a talented fellow who is Head Chef, Head Fisherman, Super Shopper and Chief Bottle Washer. In between all of these chores he finds time to take good care of you. He sounds much like me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have what I need, a Head Chef. Wayne is a good bottle washer so I won't complain. I just posted a story with mosaics on the Powell River Books Blog. I just have to remember to come over and add it to your blog share lists. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Life during Covid has been interesting, and the strangeness will continue for a long time. I had my hair cut this week, and a physio appt, both of which required masks to be worn. We all just get on with it and laugh.
    The food you and Spousal Unit have been making looks great, but how good it is to have the option to have someone else cook and clean up! We've done take out a few times and it's a real treat.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your crafty cards, very nice.
    Nice looking trout, it was a fine catch.
    Glad your mom is doing good and recovering.
    I enjoyed seeing the park sign comparisons
    Have a wonderful week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. may was a good month for you, it was here as well. at my place, there have been so many posts that have revolved around the word "emerge"!! man with hat is lucky to have woman who repairs hat, i think it is now the lucky hat!!

    i think new jersey is the second highest infected sate in the u.s., i know i have followed the rules!! nice sweet treat, you should always treat yourself, you never know when your last day is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a difference a month makes!!
    We are a little ahead of Montana maybe as far as what the State allows, we are falling behind though out of caution. I am working out in my gym again and my wife has started teaching exercise classes. So are being careful and keeping an eye on trends.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a difference time makes in a location.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...