Sunday, July 18, 2021

Mosaic Monday #139: The Garden Explosion

One of the many benefits of getting away from home for six days?  The changes in the garden jump out!  It's as though the plants have exploded in volume and color.  Upon our return, even #1 Son commented on its beauty and the multitude of butterflies.  I am thrilled to give you a peek into my oasis!

My fellow gardeners will not be the least bit surprised to read that the bee balm is the most significant butterfly magnet in my garden.


Of course, some species seem to prefer other plants, such as the coreopsis (upper left) or yellow penstemon (bottom).


Today, I was surprised to find a host of tiny grasshoppers hanging out on the prairie coneflower.  They weren't the least bit fazed when I leaned in for the close-up.


Speaking of critters, my commitment to let nature run its course with my native plants is a strategy that seems to be paying off.  The caterpillars that nibbled on the goldenrod do not seem to have had a lasting impact; if anything, the munching caused the plant to branch out and produce even more flower heads.  The aphid infestation on the asters has not destroyed any part of the plant.  And I wonder if, by allowing the aphids to linger on the asters and other plants, it kept them from flocking to the non-natives such as the burning bushes; the last two summers, those bushes had tell-tale leaf curl from aphids -- but not this summer.

In general, I am delighted that the garden has started to "fill in".  As faithful readers will recall, we started with minimal plantings three summers ago.  Through natural seeding, as well as my own strategic sowing of seeds collected from the garden, several beds have begun to take on the full, higgledy-piggledy prairie look that is my goal.   




The "big picture" views excite me, and close-ups are also a source of joy.





The fence baskets and deck pots are also coming along nicely.


The rock garden near the front of the driveway is still a work in progress, and that makes sense given it has only been in place two years.


I may regret planting this lamium, a perennial from last year's baskets; they are not native and can quickly take over a bed.  But for now, they provide color and interest while the rest of the plants get up and running.  Just another part of my garden journey!



Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Tuesday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us. 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

32 comments:

  1. My goodness, everything is so, so pretty and it's always wonderful to see a garden explosion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you have a fabulous explosion going on. Natives are best suited for your area, lamium is a great plant in the right spot. Enjoy your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Angie, to see your beautiful garden. Such lovely blooms.

    I believe you had a fine time there. It's always good being in our own nature around the house. I love it too.

    Happy MosaicMonday... wish you a very good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your garden is thriving! I remember you choosing landscaping not long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, you really have a multitude of different flowers and insects. So much it is almost hard to enjoy it all I guess. Many of the flowers I know, we have them too. But you have many beautiful butterflies that we don´t have. And the grasshoppers. Love them. :)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love every part of your garden, can't wait to see how the rock garden flourishes! The butterfly garden is just so precious! Well done on the native plants too! It's all enviable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photographs and mosaics. You have a wonderful explosion of colour going on. Enjoy your garden, it is beautiful.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how quickly plants "fill-in" a garden. Your garden, Angie, is looking a treat. Everything is so very pretty. It must be heaven to sit on the balcony and drink in the garden and scenery beyond. I cannot wait until the flowers here once again delight my days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gardens look beautiful, Angie! Natural, native perennials are always the best plantings both for beauty and the environment. I did notice you had your flowers caged in wire--is that to prevent the deer from eating them or for support? I have to cage so many of our shrubs and flowers or else the deer eat them, even when they are labeled "deer resistant" I do not like to spray them with repellant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks gorgeous and sooo colourful! Beautiful!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful colour in your garden. I love all the different plants, do the grasshoppers eat the seed on the coneflower? So good to see the bees and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Angie,
    Your garden is looking beautiful, so many pretty blooms. I like the native plants too. Bee Balm is a favorite of mine. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your prairie paradise garden is stunning, dear Angie! And it's not just a feast for the eyes, it also does a lot for the insects. It's wonderful that it works to let nature run free and lice and caterpillars do less damage!
    I'm sending you two posts today (the one from last week too ;-))
    Hugs from Austria, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/07/auf-ins-hochgebirge-ausflug-auf-die-rax.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Angie,
      All good things come in threes! (Is that also said in the USA?) Now I have a brand new posting for you, which is about my cats and my daughter's cats ... of course with many, many mosaics :-) And you can also see our garden (or parts of it).
      Hugs from Austria, Traude
      https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/07/katzengeschichten-und-gartenbilder.html

      Delete
  14. Welcome home, Angie. Your oasis garden is a wonder to behold. Lovely flowers, trees, insects! Enjoy your little spot of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. always so lovely to see your flowers both in your garden and in the wild. Especially the wild, so different to ours. Enjoy spring and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Monday. Welcome back Angie

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your research and efforts have really paid off and your garden looks lovely. Perfect for your location.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Abloom, ablaze, all-flowered. So pretty! Sharon’s Souvenirs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really really like your natural garden! The riot of colors is an added bonus (and Mother Nature has I'm sure always known the importance of that variety). The big picture *is* awe inspiring, and I am also a huge fan of macro shots. We all need to slow down and take time to appreciate the little things and taking those pictures inspires that. Yours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely gardens! The house looks very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nature always finds a way despite all we humans throw at it. Any plant that comes up and thrives on its own is a keeper in my book. Native and naturalized plants are always a good idea because they require minimal care. Everything around you is looking quite lovely. We've had horribly high humidity lately which has been no fun at all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely flowers wild and planned.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The wildflowers are fabulous, Angie, as are the butterflies they attract. If I am not mistaken I see Great Spangled Fritillary, Mariposa Copper and Edith's Checkerspot there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful flowers, plants and Butterflies, especially butterflies, they are tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I rather like that philosophy Angie. "Let nature sort itself out (within certain parameters). Or is that my Lazy Gardener speak? you have terrific colour and variety now. Just like someone planned it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! Sorry I have been abscent. Just doing summer things and not spending a lot of time online. Your flowers look great! Such color! Hope the smoke isn't too bad up there. Today it is better and I can see my mountains. You take care and have a lovely weekend. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, your garden is really taking off. My wife started using more native and low maintenance plantings just to cut down on the work involved and it is also paying off. I love flowers and gardens I just don't like the work. I just want the baby and not the labor pains as we say in the oilfield.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, beautiful captures of your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...