Thursday, August 1, 2019

A Piece of Cake

Carrot Strawberry Jell-O Cake
I have been looking forward to this post for ages.  Finally, a chance to link up with other memes, and thus give back to those who have faithfully linked to Mosaic Monday.  An opportunity to write a simpler post than I normally do, spotlighting a few recent fun subjects without the need for structure or logical flow.  I know, I am a nut, but for me this is freedom!  Having my cake, and eating it, too!

I made this cake as an experiment since I have learned the hard way that baking at altitude can be unpredictable, even with guidance from "Pie in the Sky - Successful Baking at High Altitudes".  I had it in mind for a future Munch and Make gathering, and I wanted some quality assurance.  The result was a delicious cake that provided many a breakfast pastry for Spousal Unit and me.  On the other hand, it is a long process, and I am not sure I will always have the time for it.  (And I grabbed the wrong Jell-O from the pantry - this should have been a strawberry Jell-O rather than vanilla pudding.  I liked it anyway!)  If you would like to try it, visit Natalia for the recipe.  

On the subject of cakes - Fleur Bakery in Whitefish recently moved into bigger digs on the main street of town.  I love a good coffee/tea shop, so this was good news to me.  The bakery filled a gap left when the Red Caboose closed - the Red Caboose had a cool vibe and comfy seating, and I was sad to see it go.  So I had to check it out.  I've been in twice and so far I will give it a B.  Robust coffee but I have to ask for sugar.  Seating is a little formal - I would like a few oversized chairs or couches.  Macaron was average; the beet tartine made up for it! 
And the dainty china is a nice touch

Do you have a gift shop that is your 'go-to' for unique items?  For me, it is Flair in Kalispell.  Many Montana-made gifts.  A diverse selection of funny items such as socks with patterns or quotes.  So for a recent birthday, I dropped in.  I walk the whole shop, with a particular eye for the sale rack.  This day, bingo!  Lately, every time I pull out my wallet, I have been a bit embarrassed by the worn corners.  So, this charming wallet caught my eye - and on sale, too!  Oh, don't worry, I didn't forget the birthday present.
"Caution" socks for Spousal Unit's birthday - THAT'S a
story for another post!

I know all of you have been worried sick about my unfinished Christmas ornaments.  At last report, 25 out of 30 were complete.  Drum roll, please!  All done!  After all, as some retail outlets are already telling us, only 146 days until Christmas!
Josie really does have 2 ears!
Aren't sleeping cats just adorable?  Most of the time, my attempts to sneak up on them are unsuccessful - darn them for having such good hearing!  But this day, I managed a couple of cute shots.


Despite the heat, Maggie likes to cover her nose ...
Last night, our neighbor stopped by and surprised us with Flathead Lake cherries.  Cherries thrive along the shores of the largest fresh-water lake in the US west of the Mississippi.  The combination of a northern climate and winter temperatures moderated by a huge water body, provide ideal growing conditions.  SOOOO good.

This morning, our son sent us pictures from the UK, where he is visiting his paternal grandparents.  This warmed my heart in so many ways - we are thrilled that he gets this special two-on-one time with them.  Also, it is delightful to know he is thinking of US!  And, while visiting the Thorp Perrow Arboretum, he was so thoughtful to take pictures of subjects he knew would interest us.  Here are a few.

I hope you've enjoyed this post as much as I have reveled in putting it together. From Montana, wishing you the joy of the simple things in life!

Please do take the time to visit my fellow blog hosts at the following memes!  I appreciate you all.

All Seasons
Friday Bliss
I Like Thursday
Nature Notes
Saturday's Critters
Thankful Thursday
Wandering Camera
Willy Nilly Friday

29 comments:

  1. Lovely post Angie.
    Funny you should mention that it's only 146 days until Christmas! Out with one of our sons earlier today he was telling me the same, apparently some local eateries are already advertising 'book now for Christmas' … what a thought!
    But I do like your Christmas ornaments.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious!

    The cats, of course, are adorable sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweet kitties are adorable and that cake looks like the ultimate yum! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots from Australia. And your kitties are adorable. They do always know when we want to take their photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cat photos, sneaking up on them is tough. Our two are inseparable even though they have a big age, gender, and size difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, I am always excited when a cake works out as it should, no altitude here just a lack of skills! ! 😊 great shots from the UK. Lovely photos of your cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just caught up on your wonderful posts,Angie. I don’t like to think of you being blown around and getting bruised on the trail though I know you are doing something you love.
    I am so glad you have your fellow with you!
    Meanwhile lovely photo mosaics and I will check out the cake link. Oh and adorable kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angie awesome post I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it made me very hungry looking at all that yummy food.
    Wow those Xmas decorations are so beautiful,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You managed to tie your post together rather neatly. Congrats on finishing all the Christmas ornaments. I've not cross-stitched in a while so need to remedy that. Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cherries look delicious. So does the strawberry cake. and how nice to have a bakery nearby. We'll need to go hunting for one. Your ornaments look great! And I love the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There really should be a law about a person who is so prepared for Christmas. =) Your decorations are looking fabulous. As for that cake....YUM! Seeing the photo of the sweet kangaroo, I though your son was down under.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the yummy cake with my coffee. It was really good.

    Aw on the kitties. So precious.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy foods and love the kitty photos ~ great photo post ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cake looks delicious, and I prefer vanilla to strawberry. The cats are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretending that I'm eating your piece of cake. Yummmm. I would never have considered carrot and strawberry jello working together well.
    Love those "caution" socks. lol
    Sweet cats in repose. They remind me mollusks. Molly the Cat says, "Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake looks so yummy. So does that cookie with the tea. I love tea. It is my favorite beverage. We no long have a tea room in town. Darn. That hydrangea is amazingly blue and that butterfly is beautiful! Thanks for sharing on I Like Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Angie! That cake looks delicious - as does the coffee or tea with the biscuit. I love having coffee and wish we had a nice little place like that. We only seem to have Starbuck, and I don't care for their coffee one bit. Snazzy new wallet, and those sleeping kitties are so darn cute. How sweet that your son sent you pictures from his UK visit. That's so thoughtful of him. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...I have had JELL-O cake many time, it's a favorite. JELL-O was invented near here back in the 1800s. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The desserts look so delish! I wish my two cats would sleep near each other. The closest they get is on opposite sides of the couch! They like to chase each other around the house. I love the wallet that you make. Great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post and such wonderful captures!! That cake looks delicious. I think I would prefer the vanilla jello to strawberry. 25/30 ornaments is a big accomplishment. They look fabulous. Sleeping cats are so adorable, I try to be a good mother and not bother them, but it is hard. Yours are soooo sweet.

    Thanks so much for linking up this lovely post on Wandering Camera!!
    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Altitude baking is a challenge. Your dessert looks so good. Now I'm wondering what altitude you are at. Local cherries have been delicious here, too. I'll have to check out some of those memes in the fall. I can't believe how behind I am in my blogging practices. Who knew summer would be so busy in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fun post Angie and thank you for linking at Friday Bliss. Your cake looks really delicious and your cats are so adorable <3 It is lovely that you son thought of you and sent you some photos. It is great to have a correspondent abroad! Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    PS
    And so great to hear that your Christmas ornaments are ready :) Christmas is coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your thankful post! We both have so much to be thankful for and it's fun to share our blessings! Love the stitching you've been doing! You're a busy lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I try not to read about sweets... trying very hard to not eat too much sugar. Your cake looks tasty. Love the cats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely, chatty post about many things. I learnt some more about your interests and local places that you visit. I like it that you have a Yorkshire, UK connection and pleased to hear that your son went to visit grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, Sweet photos of your kitties sleeping. Your cake looks delicious. I like the cute wallet and socks and the Christmas Ornaments. Nice photos from your son! The cherries look yummy. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, wishing you a great new week! PS, thanks for the visit and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for including me, haven't been so faithful, but it is because am trying to save as much time as possible for painting! Am happy for the link to your high altitude cooking - since we live here, even jello does not turn out to my dismay, and have gone over to Trader Joe's ready-bake mixes, lol! I guess your post gives me a strong nudge to try my baking again, Many thanks for sharing it with All Seasons:)
    not to forget love the nice wallet and the news you received from your son!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've made some wonderful discoveries by not following a recipe and yours looks yummy! I just love your Christmas ornaments (even if you are a bit early!) and the kitties are so cute.

    My step-daughter is in the UK visiting her grandmother and other relatives, too!!

    Angie, you are always welcome to join 'My Corner of the World' that starts on Wednesday--you can join any time during the week :)

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...