Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Red Ribbons and Bows

I generally do not decorate for every holiday.  Before I retired, I didn't have the time.  After I retired, I swore off collecting more "stuff".  Stuff has to be stored, and we have prioritized our valuable closet space for outdoor equipment!  And yet, Valentine's Day, with red dominating the color scheme, is easy on me.  I already have many red articles in the house, and some "Christmas" items can be re-purposed for Cupid's Day.  Let's take a look!

My Mom's apron doubles as a table-runner in this tableau and her vintage tomato strainer has red handles, seemingly meant for this occasion!  The Handarbeit candlestick holder already held a red candle, and it was joined by the matching flask.  Handarbeit, which means "handwork" or "handmade, is marked on the bottom of each piece of pottery. 

 At the other end of this table I placed two brandy snifters, partly filled with plastic candy hearts.  (I'll admit these hearts were one of my few purchases a couple of years ago to augment my decoration stash.)  Another candelabra with the requisite red candle moved from the fireplace to round out the arrangement.  

 

For years, we had had several garlands of red beads, and they have been used in many ways, most frequently at Christmas.  Since we moved into our log home five years ago, I had yet to find an appropriate place for them during the Christmas period.  As we packed up the Christmas decorations at the end of January, Spousal Unit noticed them in the bottom of the box, and suggested it was time for them to find a new home.  Of course, this was quite motivational to me, and you won't be surprised to see that I found several creative uses for them!


Did you notice the red ribbons with the pine cones?  Those were recycled from Christmas crackers several years ago!  The mantlepiece is strung with a glittery red tulle; the massive red vase was a retirement gift from colleagues in Poland.

My decorations extend (slightly) outside as well, thanks to Spousal Unit.  You see, he gave me a complete set of garden flags, one for every holiday/season, as a Christmas present.  Doesn't this flag brighten up the monochrome scene below?  (The dark something to the left of the flag is my metal moose sculpture, almost overcome by the snow.)

I am joining LeeAnna for I Like Thursday.  This week, the prompt is: What do you like about Valentine's Day?  Do you have a special cake or truffles, for instance.  Do you give cards, get chocolates, give gifts?  You could send flowers to a best friend, or give a sweet heart necklace to your daughter, or call your Mom ...  It's about love and showing it.

As you might surmise, I like decorating!  Generally, Spousal Unit and I do get each other cards, but not much more than that.  Going out for dinner on Valentine's Day is no longer "special" in my book - reservations are almost impossible to get, and prices are exorbitant.  I prefer surprises, such as a small bag of chocolate hearts that I gave Spousal Unit a couple of weeks ago.  Beyond my dear Spouse, I don't do anything formal for anyone else on Valentine's Day.  I do make an effort to find simple but meaningful ways to show love throughout the year, from hand-drawn cards to scheduling video calls with family to organizing social gatherings to commenting on blogs!

A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  JESUS CHRIST

Love is sharing your popcorn.  CHARLES SCHULZ

People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants.  But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.  ELIZABETH GILBERT

****

Linking to Mosaic Monday

 

21 comments:

  1. Great quotes, Angie, and I love your bits and pieces of red for Valentine's Day decor. I don't do much at all - my red winter dishes are still on the shelves in the china hutch and I'll leave them there until next week. I try to make a special meal for the two of us, but this year we have a meeting that night, so it will have to be something quick. I like to get the grandkids a bit of candy for V-day. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying I will get myself organized and at least change pillow covers, tablecloths seasonally -- have a small display for other decorations maybe, but not go whole hog. Never really have decorated for Valentine's Day and honestly do feel it is just a day for companies to make money making everyone believe they need to buy all the stuff. I really, really, really want to downsize. I'll always be a maximalist -- can't stand bare walls or empty corners -- but at least everything I own should have a place and space and I should be able to find what I'm looking for. LOL. It's the craft supplies and old photos that really need my attention. Getting started is another matter. It's always a good idea to use what we've got, think of them in different ways, move things around the house. There's so much waste in this world. I used to always give small gifts to friends or co-workers -- really only have my craft group now that I see every couple of weeks and they are all so talented I never know what I can do for them. :) Also, sometimes just not really motivated to do anything. Gloomy weather, mood swings, world events all seem to affect me a lot lately. Well, maybe I should have written all this in my journal. HA! Thanks, Angie, for your blog friendship and being therapist in the moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Angie,

    Your decorations are so pretty, the reds are cheery and it is a color that really pops. Hubby and I will have a Valentine's celebration at home. Love the quotes. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have an eye for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! Pops of red are so nice. Yes, a celebration at home makes more sense for us. We can always double up on my birthday making it a birthday and valentine's day celebration since it's 1 month after. Our snow is slowly melting and things are emerging that we haven't seen in months. Hope you have a sweet Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your decoration. So cute! I'm always running out of time and sometimes I would skip the holidays if I could. But it's lovely to see decorated houses...

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the reds and pinks sure are pretty. We sure collect too much stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your decorations. The flag certainly adds a bit of color with all that snow! Those quotes are fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was wonderful from beauty to sentiment to quotes. I loved it and you. So sorry I kept wondering if I forgot someone. I hate doing that! You are first on the list now, and I hope everyone comes to see your meaningful post. Love, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your post. Your decorations are so pretty! I had not thought about Christmas decorations doing double duty, but they sure can. How neat that you live in a log cabin - sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Valentine decorating. It's simple, but includes family memories and that is the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Angie
    I like the decorations you've shared in your photographs.
    Younger members of the family do often celebrate Valentines Day with a meal out, but Eddie and I will enjoy a nice low carb meal at home :)

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well this is lovely - I wouldn't even consider decorating for Valentines - so well done you! We have been married so long we don't worry about Valentines too much though sometimes a bunch of flowers appears or a special breakfast. Stay safe and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't really decorate for Valentine's in Australia. All those splashes of red throughout your home look lovely. That is a indeed a lovely flag against the snowy backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Angie, you are well prepared for Valentine's Day - and I like your decoration! It doesn't have much tradition in Austria, but of course it's also commercialized here, as is Mother's Day - "Buy flowers, buy jewellery, buy chocolates, sparkling wine and perfume!" Edi and I don't feel like taking part, even though we might treat ourselves to a particularly good red wine tomorrow. I see it like you, it's better to show who you love all year round.
    I especially like the last quote!
    ALL THE BEST from Austria and Happy Valentine's Day ❤️!
    Hugs, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/02/costa-rica-5-kapitel-la-paz-waterfall.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. We can never enough hearts. Isn`t? They are wonderful here.

    I enjoyed reading. At collecting things is my favorite: Bunnies, by the way. Understood therefore very well your work for re-purposing.

    Thank you, Angie, being part again at
    MosaicMonday

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pops of red at the beginning of the new year through February. It just seems a natural after Christmas to keep red to brighten rooms during cold months. I love your use of everyday items to make a table special.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the concept of multitasking decorations. The part I like best about Valentines Day is when it is over. Back in my single days, long ago, we used to talk about the "Dating Dead Zone" between Thanksgiving and Valentines Day where you really did not want to start seeing somebody new.

    We just give each other cards and I find some roses. My wife cooks a great meal with a nice desert and we are done!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely reflection on the real meaning of Valentine's Day (or any day -- I don't need to apologize for being late to read this post -- it works for any day.). We are of the "purchase no unnecessary stuff" school as our small homes and frequent travels make it pretty much necessary. (Things do somehow still accumulate though). ... Your repurposed decor brought memories of the season we once spent in Mobile Alabama. When we arrived, the Rec Center was still beautifully decorated -- tree, tables, and all -- for Christmas, then slightly blinged up for New Years -- the next month it became a Valentine Tree and then a Mardi Gras Tree and then just before we left an Easter one. Just a slight color change adding and subtracting some of the same colors made it a Festive Place every day of the Winter Season. It was a fun place to spend the Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Angie love your Valentine's decor! And your wonderful quotes....here's one that reminded me of you...

    “Friendship gives us the strength to turn from lambs into lions.”
    ― Stephen Richards

    Wishing you all the best and can't wait to see if you have any "Luck of the Irish" festivities or decor planned, as my spousal unit is an O'Malley on his mother's side!! xx L

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...