Friday, November 3, 2017

October Wind Down

As I write this, snowflakes swirl among the barren branches in our back yard - what a transformation three days can bring.  Here's to the halcyon days of late October, Willy Nilly Friday and Mosaic Monday.

ONE: Cooler temperatures translate to curling up with a captivating book, preferably in a pair of warm socks and cute Halloween earrings.
TWO: Baking warms the house, launching delectable aromas of butter, cinnamon and fruit.

THREE: A walk along the lakeshore soaks up the last of the toasty rays of the sun.  The swimming docks have been pulled high onto the beaches, and even the buoys are festooned with cottonwood leaves, awaiting the delighted screams of the kids next summer.


FOUR: Halloween opens the door for creativity, from carving pumpkins to adopting another persona for the night.


In our town, the costume contest is a serious event, proof positive that Whitefish is in touch with its inner child. Which picture is us?

Yes, you got it - Pretty Clown and Hobo Clown.  We didn't win any prizes, but the compliments we heard as we "crawled" the eight mandatory judging locations was accolade enough for us.


FIVE: And then the next day dawned.  Snow dusted the grass, and I thought the expression on our ghost said it all.  On top of that, deer had eaten every flower from my mums overnight, and two of our pumpkins disappeared.




At first, we thought pranksters might have stolen our special squash, but it seemed so out of character for our town.  And then, I discovered this remnant on the porch - what do you think?  Hungry deer, bear or teenage werewolf?
Yes, golden October is gone and drafty November has arrived.

Linking to Willy Nilly Friday

Linking to Mosaic Monday



 

24 comments:

  1. You are so cute in your costumes! Well done, both of you! Golden October left in a hurry around here, too. But books and baking sound like great activities for these chillier days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you folks in Montana sure do Halloween up right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your creative pumpkins and costumes too! I'm visiting from the link ups at Willy Nilly Friday 5. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. once again, you tell a story in these posts! You are adorable as is your hobo. That pumpkin stem... oh gosh. And I'd be mad to see mum stumps. I came out to find some critter had ahem, some dietary indescretion on our walkway. Yup, I stepped in it of course. Gotta go dig whatever it was out of my birkenstock sole. Happy Nov. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm mighty happy to make your acquaintance! I am going to follow you so I can visit you often. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops you don't have a place for followers so I will just add you to my blog list instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cute costumes and makeup! What an interesting mystery about the squash and pumpkins. I'm guessing animals. You have some master carved pumpkins! We even got snow today in the lowlands of the Seattle area. Earliest we've ever seen!! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely autumn feel to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great costumes. That pumpkin sure must have been tasty. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Loved your costumes, so cute. The carved pumpkins are cool. We use to carve them but the last couple of years we haven't done any. I miss it. - Loved your Halloween socks. - Snow...brrr, it's coming but so far here just in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your costumes!! So cute. I am so glad our snow came after the holiday. Your poor mums!! I am cheering on my Griz today. Have a great weekend. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to laugh at your poor pumpkin. I do hope whatever ate it enjoyed it! Sometimes, I miss snow falling down, especially at night. But it passes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did October go? It looks like you celebrated the month in grand style. Thanks for keeping tabs on me. I just needed a break, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly got into the swing of things on Halloween, your costumes are super, bet you had loads of fun. Shame you lost the pumpkins and shrubs, the ghost got it right, Boo! indeed!
    Your baking looks delicious, a muffin, a book and a roaring fire, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
    Happy Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness...something ATE it! Wow! And I love your costumes! How cute you both look. Enjoy your week and keep all the edibles inside! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each and every mosaic shows how you enjoyed the passing October. I can almost feel the sunshine by the shore and smell the aroma from baking. I found your creative talent in the carved pumpkins, so nice and cool. Last but not least. you look so lovely with the costume, so does your husband.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your costumes … rarely do you see clowns with so much heart. I wonder if Hobo Clown played a prank on Pretty Clown with the pumpkin remnant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whatever ate that pumpkin did a thorough job of it! Goodness. The clown costumes are fabulous! Whitefish must be a really fun place to live -- you picked a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Change is very much visible. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I really love your costumes! Your house looks and sounds so inviting with the baking and relaxing reading....I love your leaf garland too...that Flintstones car is pretty awesome! I'm ready for some snow! Thank you so ugh for linking up with Willy Nilly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darling costumes - and the leftovers of the pumpkin are scary - to think that something could eat that much of it overnight - wow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...