Wednesday, January 25, 2023

A January Jumble

Jumble (noun) = an untidy collection or pile of things

Jumble (verb) = mix up in a confused or untidy way

BRITISH = articles collected for a jumble sale

Well, "untidy" and "confused" are negative words to me, but this post is certainly a "collection" and a mixture.  So, "jumble" it is!

 

As most of you know, our last cat, Maggie, crossed the rainbow bridge on September 21, 2020.  I don't miss the dust and the litter boxes, but I do miss the affection that accompanies a loud purr and rubbing on my legs.  So, it has been a joy to interact with several cats this month, including cat-sitting for neighbors vacationing in sunny Florida!


 

Speaking of critters, it has been a bumper month for trail cam photos - the Bald Eagles have returned to fish for Northern Pike at the lake below our house.  I wrote about this in February 2021, when Golden Eagles joined in the feast as well.

 

 

Here is the patch of open water - the "fishing hole".  Last summer, the beaver built a secondary dam below the main dam, which has created this little catchment.  Apparently, the fish are swimming through gaps in the main dam and wind up in shallow water that makes for easy pickings for the raptors.  Bad decision!  The camera is positioned on the other side of the water, so the views you are about to see are looking toward where I am standing to take this picture.  (click on the pictures to make them bigger)





 
 
All of this happened in the space of a few minutes.  Later that night, another raptor came to the "restaurant" - an owl!  This is the first time I have ever captured one with my trail cam!

I have been doing a little cooking once a week, to give Head Chef a break.  I didn't take pictures of week 1 - Normandy Pork Casserole - a recipe from Low Carb Diabetic - and I would recommend the dish!  Week 2 was Slow Roasted Salmon, and I am not giving you the link since the spices overwhelmed the salmon.  But I documented my work ...

 

Speaking of food, Head Chef gave us a New Year's resolution - Eat More Jam!  How many jam/jelly/related jars do you have?


I am joining LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.  The prompt for this week: What are your favorite colors?  Do you wear them or decorate with them?  As I look around the house, I see many shades of brown, augmented with blues and reds.  As we bought furniture over the years, we went for subtle shades and used pillows and blankets to add the color.  If I consider my closet, the base palette is brown and black, but with a rainbow of blouses, scarves and sweaters.  Is there a specific color your family would say is your favorite?  Purple.  My bridesmaids wore purple, and I have a purple suede outfit from the 1980's that Spousal Unit wishes I would wear more often!  Has it changed over the last few years?  Today, my style choices are functional - designed for our active and outdoor lifestyle.  In other words, not much purple and no suede!!!

 

 

This week, I am also linking to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.  Her theme this week is scarves.  I wrote an entire post about scarves on February 10, 2019.  This was one of my favorite collages from that post.



Finally, I leave you with this whimsical fairy house that my neighbors created from a tree stump, lovingly harvested from the property of my Dear Neighbor Friend.  I am so thankful to live here, and to have so many "jumbles" to share with you.

This week, I am also linking to:

Brian's Home for Thankful Thursday.

Eileen for Saturday's Critters.

Mosaic Monday

 

40 comments:

  1. I love that fairy house. So very creative and fun. Of course, I love seeing all the kitties -- I get my fill of kitty love on my neighborhood walks where there are so many abandoned pets and street cats -- the ones I see the most and who greet me with abandon are given names so I chat with them most days, give cuddles. Food is distributed and shared. :) Oh my, purple suede -- the things we wore in the 80's. A box of my dresses from the late 80's/early 90's was shipped here but when I went through them, decided to donate most as didn't think I'd ever wear them again. Great trail cam photos. I am about to fix some toast -- have some Syrian blackberry jam but boy oh boy is it sweet and don't have any peanut butter to pair with it. Maybe I should use it to make thumbprint cookies or something. Take care and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...keep enjoying your jumble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Angie,
    Wonderful photos from your trail cam. I love the series on the Bald Eagle and the Owl. The neighbors kitties are all adorable. The Fairy House is awesome, well done. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You obviously live on some beautiful acreage! Love the pictures of your neighbor kitties. My wardrobe is functional for comfort now, but Hubs wishes I would wear some of the tighter fitting clothing from my younger life - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear Angie, I believe you that you like living there - not only because of the fairy houses and cute cats of the neighbors ❤️ There is so much interesting nature to watch. The trail cam shows a life that a city dweller can hardly imagine - and even here in the "half country" (near the outskirts of Vienna) there isn't that much wildlife to watch.
    Jam: We have a few glasses, I don't count but I'm guessing about 20, most homemade from ourselfes, some gifts. We eat them on our breakfast sandwiches, but sometimes we mix them in yoghurt, which is my favorite way to eat jam.
    Purple is a beautiful color and it suits you - you can certainly integrate it into practical outdoor outfits :-))
    Thank you very much for your lovely lines about my Costa Rica travel report! At the moment you can take a look at wintry Austria in my blog, if you want... ;-)
    All the best,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/01/manchmal-kommt-es-anders.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful place to live! You get so many great pictures of wildlife. Were the eagle pictures from a video or does your game camera take them that fast? And the tree stump fairy house! I'm in love with it. We're not big fans of jelly or jam. I like it and have a friend who makes the best peach jam I've ever had, but we don't eat a lot of bread, so what else do you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen bald eagles.

    I am very fond of cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course we enjoyed seeing the kitty pals and the trail cam raptors, WOW. The food looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. woohoo on those legs sister! We both like purple, it was one of my wedding colors too. great cats!!! I love them staying over at your catcamp! wild life photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mishu is beautiful! Really cool trail cam photos. That's quite the collection of jam jars! I probably only have half that. I love that fairy house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun jumble. I really like that fairy house!! Glad you were able to get a cat fix by helping out your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love the fairy house! It makes me want to spin a tale! Love your photo in purple too. Eagles are amazing...WOW! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That’s a cute photo of you, Angie. Look at that thick gorgeous hair and sweet smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great views of the Bald Eagles there Angie. We have so few eagles here that I would be very thrilled to see one and even better to see them fisking. I guess the nearest thing we have are Ospreys in the Lake District or a trip to Scotland for Golden Eagles or White-tailed Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your trail cam pictures are awesome and yes a rare sighting of a hunting Great Horned Owl. We had eagles on our lake and I loved watching them. We also had owls, but only heard them, rarely saw them. And I love your neighborhood kitties ... all so cute and cuddly. Have you thought of bringing a new kitty into your home. There are so many cats who need a warm, comfortable and loving home. As for favorite colors ... I grew up with Blues and Greens as my mother was a nature lover and those are the colors of nature. They are still my favorites but oddly when we moved into our retirement apartment, I decorated in soft yellows with red accents and shades of turquoise. I know it sounds awful, but it really isn't :) And nope ... I don't have any jelly jars around, sadly. As you get older you find that eating sugar causes things like fat ... so if I eliminate sugar from my diet I don't crave and I can eat healthy :) Not that I wouldn't love a piece of toast with jam on it :( So fun post, Angie ... enjoyed everything.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Angie,
    What a wonderful mix on this post, I enjoyed it.
    So good to read that you enjoyed the Normandy Pork Casserole :)

    I do like the whimsical fairy house that your neighbours created from a tree stump, a good idea.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend, hard to believe it's the last one of January 2023.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your scarf is beautiful. Those cat photos are fabulous (yes, I'm a cat lover). Nice bald eagle shots, too. Nice to meet you through Rain's TADD.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delightful post, Angie. The photos sequence of the bald eagle was wonderful! Shades of taupe and blue fill my house, but I like to wear reds. The fairy house is cute. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great sightings, Angie. I liked the cats, the bald eagle action shots, the fairy tale house and the beautiful snow landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Angie,
    I enjoyed all your critters, all the kitties are adorable. Great captures of the Eagles and the Owl. I would love to have a Fairy house like that, very cute. You look pretty in purple, great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy new week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the trail cam photo's and who doesn't love purple. One of my favorite colors too-David from Destin FL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good evening Angie! The cats are cute, and each looks other.

    Wow... you was a very sweet young Lady. Purple was IN in this time, I believe. I don`t know how old you are ... and don`t ask about. But my rememberings reach to the Hippie Era, when I wear Midi, Mini and Maxi in trendy colours like Aubergine = Purple.

    It`s fascinating to think back.

    Thank you being part at
    MOSAIC MONDAY

    Have a good week, hugs by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you're still managing to find the company of cats. I think life would be dull without them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Angie! ♥ Oh I do love that fairy house! So cute!!! I've been wanting to build a little fairy garden out on my land...on the list lol! Your scarf is so elegant and dainty, very pretty! The Eagle story in photos is really something, thanks so much for sharing!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look positively erotic in your purple dress, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Angie . You have brought us a beautiful jumble and I enjoyed every part of it. Cat-sitting these beautiful indoor kitties is a nice alternative ... we've been pet-free for many years now because *travel*. But it would be fun occasionally for the parts of being owned by a cat that I do miss!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So much information! The cats are beautiful, a great capture of an owl, the fishing pole looks wonderful and the fairy house is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like all your fuzzy cat photos. They all look sweet. Your visitors on the trail cam are varied and wonderful. You certainly live in a beautiful natural surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those eagles shots are fantastic. Love the January Jumble, what a name too. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello, Angie. This is an organized post despite its title. It’s fun to read topic one after another. Doesn't "organized jumble” make sense as an oxymoron? I especially love the critters and a fairy house.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  32. Greetings to Montana - did you see the chinese balloon? - Nice foto-story of the eagle and the crow. Have a good time and thanks for stopping by at my blog.
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the fun jumble!
    Delightful post, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the fluffy cat, reminds me of the one I had back in the 10980's but he was a black smooth hair. Love your wildlife photos

    ReplyDelete
  35. Angie, Nice to sit cats for the cuddles but being able to let them go when their parents return. I guess there is the danger of wanting another of your own. Purple is a great color! Thanks for checking in on me. Things should settle a bit now and I will have more time for challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Angie
    I've had cats most of my life but when my last cat passed away a few months after we moved to Colorado I hesitated getting another as we thought we'd be traveling a lot. I have 3 Grand-cats so I get my cuddle fix with the--smile. My home is decorated in earthy shades of rust, cream, brown and burgundy, but in clothing I like brighter colors--blue, red, green.
    Did you hear about the Colorado Parks and Wildlife trail cam that had over 400 "selfie" photos a bear took of itself? I'm sure if you do a search you will find the story online--so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's always fun to see what turns up on trail cameras. Our cats are so glad we're home. They track litter something fierce. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those photos of the eagles, crows, and owl at the "fishing hole" are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, nice to see you. :) Love those kittens and the cool fairyhouse :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...