Thursday, March 9, 2023

March Melange

Time waits for no woman - hence the diary page twitches to March 9 without my having paid homage to the thrills and frills of February!  It just will not do. So I bring you my melange, my medley, my potpourri of happiness and happenings.  I care not if I hop like a bunny from March to February and back again - if it will bring you even a smidgen of joy, my job here will be done!

Speaking of bunnies, this little one posed motionless outside my bathroom window, less than three feet away, for at least 15 minutes.  Do you suppose it thought it was invisible?

Snow - an amazing miracle.  Have you ever really thought about it?  All those teensy individual flakes, piled up, one upon another.  Strong enough to support a bunny, a cross-country skier, a snowmobile.  (It is still at least a foot-and-a-half deep on our property.)  And the sculptures it can create.  The scenes befitting of a Currier and Ives plate.  I never tire of its beauty and I hope you don't grow weary of my snow photos!

The next photo is closer to home - our "side yard"!  I love how the (rare) sun is casting long shadows of the trees.  The sun is still low at this time of year, but at least the days are lengthening!


I celebrated another revolution around the sun last month, and of course snow sports were part of the festivities.  Here I am posing with the "snow ghosts" at Big Mountain on my birthday.  This phenomenon is the result of layers of rime ice accumulating on the trees throughout the winter.  For more information, check out this link for a quick read.  

(Note: the name of the mountain is Big Mountain - the ski area is called Whitefish Mountain Resort.)

I am grateful for all the warm greetings, cards and gifts I received.  Spousal Unit took me out for dinner, followed by a winter film festival.  It is thrilling to watch other people ski/ride off cliffs into deep powder!  

In late February, we took a trip to Portland, Oregon for a Bruce Springsteen concert.  A few days before we arrived, Portland had over 6 inches of snow and then temperatures plunged into the teens.  It left roadways, parking lots and sidewalks quite treacherous.  We had to forego some of our planned sightseeing (parks and other outdoor venues) because we feared falling and suffering serious injuries.  But we could not resist visiting several of the waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge, made all the more spectacular for the ice around them.

Check out these videos.


 

You could spend days exploring the street art scene in Portland.  As I already mentioned, the icy sidewalks rendered lengthy walks out of the question, so I only captured three murals that I saw during one brief stroll.  If I went back again, I would make it my mission to scour the Central Eastside Mural District and the Alberta Arts District.

(The Blanchet House mural was especially poignant in light of the homelessness crisis in Portland.  Everywhere we went, tent cities dominated the landscape.  Blanchet House was founded in 1952 by a group of University of Portland alumni as a house for hospitality in the model of those established by the Catholic Worker Movement.  With an original focus on feeding the unemployed, Blanchet House has grown to provide clothing, hygiene items, community, and transitional recovery programs to thousands of people every year.)  The subject of homelessness cropped up in most of our conversations that weekend; we did not identify many new solutions, but we sure agree that our country can do better than this! 

If you search for "things to do in Portland", you can be sure that Powell's City of Books will be near the top of the list.  Covering an entire city block, Powell's has grown into a Portland landmark and the world's largest new and used bookstore.  The place was teeming with people and so many books that I might have been forever discouraged from my on-and-off again thoughts of writing a book.  I did make note of several books that I would like to read!!!

Would you be surprised that donut shops would also make the list of must-dos?  I can't tell you how many boxes of "Voodoo Donuts" that we observed as we gingerly picked our way along the sidewalks of the Pearl District.  It made me wonder about the blogger that recommended Blue Star as the donut of choice.  I can tell you that I sure savored my Lemon and Lime Curd Donut!

As we maneuvered our car to a new parking spot (time limits on parking,ok?) we spotted a World Market.  Oh my.  I don't know (and I am not sure I want to know) how much more the population needs to grow in our area to merit a World Market, so we go and salivate at every installation that we come across.  Just look at these tulips!  (but no, I did not buy them.  We did find some Tete de Moine cheese.  Ooh la la!)  We had an early dinner at Jake's Famous Crawfish Restaurant - yum!

And what can I say about Bruce?  The man is 73 years old.  He has released 21 studio albums during a career spanning six decades, most of which feature the E Street Band.  And I swear that he did not break a sweat during the 2 hours and 45 minutes that they played!  Young folks, take note!  

 

Back at home, I launched into March with a shamrock frenzy.

 

Meanwhile, the critters confront the daily challenges of winter.  Twenty Elk waiting to cross on Big Mountain Road.

 
                         

Bald Eagles fishing at Hodge Lake.


And my favorite - the Ermine bounding along the front edge of the house.

Maybe they should take a page from these pink beauties and be a greeter at Hobby Lobby.  (LeeAnna - this is for you!)

 

This week, LeeAnna's prompt is "What would you like to have in a dream studio space?  Have you ever seen a studio space you wish you had?"  In this post from two years ago, I wrote about my new standing desk in our loft.  It satisfied much of my dream studio wish list - a terrific view, lots of light, a standing desk, large working surface.  The one thing it lacks is adequate storage for oddly shaped craft items such as rolls of cross-stitch fabric.  My sister-in-law in Utah has a large room she uses for quilting - the previous owner was into card-making and had specially designed cabinets for card stock - turns out they are perfect for fat quarters.  I would love to have her storage options!

Hop on over to I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color to hear more!

Linking to Monday Murals

Joining Eileen for Saturday's Critters 

Linking to Mosaic Monday

38 comments:

  1. ...you sure have gotten a boat load of snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to the gorge was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much snow and absolutely gorgeous photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what tremendous power of nature as seen in the waterfalls (played all three videos at once for impact) and the mammoth snow ghost sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What marvellous photos! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it there and back safely, especially walking in Portland. Those Snow Ghosts are ahh-maz-ing! Happy Belated birthday. I love that Ermine and so very cool that you got a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie! Your snow pictures are just gorgeous! The concert with Bruce looks fantastic. I've never seen him in concert but I'm certain her puts on a good show. Two hours and 45 minutes! How fun. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snow scenes are amazingly beautiful and that bunny really is a cute one. Years ago I had a long conversation over a few beers with the Bruce dude at a bar in New Orleans, my wife was so mad I didn't get his autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that bun! So many beautiful outdoor photos. That ermine photo is really cool, too. Happy belated birthday. Ooh - lemon curd doughnut looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Happy Birthday!!
    I've always wanted to explore Portland, maybe some day. I would love to see Powells.

    Glad you love the snow. I grew up in it and have had quite enough. It does make for pretty photos though I'll admit. I like the late spring snows when our redbuds are blooming and then the snow melts the next day.

    Glad you enjoyed Bruce.

    I have a great office in our new home setup. Just wish I was neater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers and the food look sooooooo good, not so much the snow. I'm not a lover of anything related to winter. I start the countdown to spring as soon as summer is over. When I was younger I actually liked winter and snow; but those years are long gone. Being cold, fear of falling, car accidents from slipping on ice etc have me happy that this year, we got to spend winter in a warmer climate and not at home. With any luck at all, by the time we return I will have successfully missed it. Color me a happy camper. Glad you enjoyed the concert, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such amazing photos! I particularly like the one of the waterfall. Wow!!! Juch as I love snow, I grateful for spring and the flowers. Have a grand weekend! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your snow photos, I wonder if the rabbit thinks it is invisible?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Angie,
    Happy belated birthday! Your celebration sounds fun. The winter landscapes are just beautiful. I love the ghost trees. I have been to the Columbia River waterfalls, they are a lovely sight to see. Sorry the snow and ice put a damper on your Oregon visit. The Springsteen concert, the bookstore and donuts sound right up my alley. I like that cute flamingo! The Ermine, rabbit and elk are all beautiful critter sightings and great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and happy new week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many fab pics. I particularly like the bunny and the sky shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had the biggest snow fall in 27 years this week but it pales into insignificance compared to what you see outside your door. Loved taking a stroll around Portland with you, oh those donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a perfect birthday celebration! And your photos of the snow are gorgeous. An Ermine? How beautiful is that!!! Enjoy your Sunday. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never thought of snow that way. We luckily only had a bit. Happy belated birthday and weee quite a look back! Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated Birthday, Angie! How cool to have seen Springsteen in Oregon. That is one state I have yet to visit. It looks like you had a fantastic time!
    I also have winter recollections on my blog but you have way more snow in your post--wow! It was a very snowy winter in so many places but I'm happy most of it was in the mountain ski resorts
    here, and not in my part of Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday. That was certainly a LOT of snow.

    Don't get me wrong, because I am sure there are lots of homeless in my city (Wichita, KS), but I had never seen a homeless person until I visited Portland. They were everywhere. I thought it was so sad. I'm glad that mural calls attention to their plight. SO glad you found these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Angie, beautiful photos of the snow. I lived in Germany for 6 years in the 80's and got to see lots of snow, but after a while it made life with 2 young kids difficult. I was back in Germany last week visiting my daughter who lives there now, and it snowed for a day, which was quite exciting as I hadn't seen snow for over 30 years! I'm now in sunnier/warmer Portugal to celebrate my Dad's 99th birthday., and then I'll return to a even warmer Perth, which is home to us.
    Happy belated birthday for February. And thanks for joining in Monday Murals, hope to see you again 😀.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interesting photos and mosaics
    Greetings from Trinidad and Tobago🇹🇹
    My mosaic post today is HERE

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  23. flamingos yea! Elk crossings, that waterfall was astounding, and I want to see Portland. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  24. We even received snow on our desert vacay. No way!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooooooh that sweet little bunny, was clearly fixated on something and never saw you pearing from the window!!! love, love, love the snow ghosts and the video's of the winter waterfalls. and what can be said about bruce....he grew up 20 minutes from here and is a living legend. i have seen him so many times in concert and he puts on a good, LONG show!!

    cool to see the elk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very belated Happy Birthday to you, Angie. You were well celebrated! I've been to Portland just once, and enjoyed the big used bookstore (I can't remember the name). Didn't try any donuts, though.
    Waterfalls, snowy scenes, elk, and that sweet bunny are giving you lots to look at these days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday, dear Angie with all wishes you have come true.

    Hugs by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete

  28. We don't have snow here and now the weather is very hot. Beautiful snowy photos and street arts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. March marches on! You appear to be making very good use of it, Angie. A belated Happy Birthday to you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post Angie, I enjoyed the read and seeing your photographs.
    I can't believe that Bruce is 73 years old! Wow!
    Belated Happy Birthday Wishes.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Angie, the little snow bunny is so cute ❤️❤️❤️ and your snow pictures are breathtakingly beautiful! I'm already in the spring mood, but all the white in your photos is great and wonderful. I also really like your waterfall videos. I am amazed that the water is flowing while everything is frozen all around. Despite the icy sidewalks in Portland, you were able to photograph some beautiful murals - they are mesmerizing! Glad you got to see Bruce "the Boss" Springsteen. It always fascinates me how young pop and rock stars keep themselves; it's probably because they love what they do and music like this keeps you young inside. Also stunning are the pictures of the Elks, the Bald Eagle and the adorable Ermine! (Unfortunately, the plastic flamingos can't keep up ;-))
    Have a good week!
    All the best & big hugs, Traude 😘
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/03/costa-rica-8-kapitel-nationalpark.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved this Angie -- the bunny nearly is invisible as he blends into the snow covered landscape -- and yes, I agree the snow is beautiful and I don't get tired of seeing your pictures (while, I confess, staying warm -- but different strokes...)...... I loved the report from closer to our home (during the other two seasons) -- you picked an unusually cold weekend to visit Portland -- family reports from a bit down the road in Eugene were almost, but not quite, that cold. I was glad to be here in Florida. ... The Columbia Gorge is such a magical place and I enjoyed seeing it during Winter. We are originally from a small town in Eastern Washington so after we moved to Eugene we drove that Gorge highway at least twice a year to visit family that (at the time) was still there. I never got tired of it and never will be -- it's not a regular trip anymore, but I think it is about time for us to explore the area again this coming summer!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I enjoyed your snow pics - while we are still lounging in summer here. Markets are always so interesting. I am going to be part of an Art Market this weekend. Thankyou so much for visiting my blog last week, I have been so slow in visiting you. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an incredible snow fall I am glad to hear your wondrous report on Bruce Springsteen in action as we are seeing him in concert in June in the UK - bring it on and Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Angie, Happy Birthday. I love seeing the wildlife in your neck of the woods. Bruce is an icon performer. That was a treat. The food is always so good looking. Thanks for sharing and have a great day. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Easter.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes, these are the kind of pictures that make me envious! Is that a snow bunny? I've heard of white rabbits but have never seen one (of course, they would be an easy prey here) and they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...