Sunday, January 14, 2024

Stitching Updates, and a new project

In my post two weeks ago, I wrote about The Steady Thread Botanical Blackwork Stitchalong.  At that time, I had 13 hexagons to go, plus the leafy frame.  I am happy to report that only 2 hexagons and the frame remain.


The design (in the form of a pdf) only resides on my computer, so at times when I am away from my laptop, I have snuck in a couple of hours stitching #1 Son's Christmas stocking.

In the midst of all the preparations last year for #1 Daughter's wedding, I had reached an agreement with the betrothed to complete a cross-stitch for them, once they had chosen a favorite photo.  They settled on several options for the design, shown below in order of their preference.




I knew that Herrschners had a professional service for this, but when I went to the on-line catalog, I could not find it.  A quick phone call determined that the service is no longer provided.  Back to the Web.  I looked at several pattern creators, and chose StitchFiddle for an initial design.  I uploaded the photos and then played with sizing, thread count and the like.  Fairly quickly, it became obvious that photos 1 and 3 above would have to be massive (and bigger than the max design within StitchFiddle) in order for meaningful detail.  So, we have settled on the second photo (with a little cropping).  This is a screen shot of the design.

Assuming I work it on 14 count Aida, the size is 21.43 x 16.64 inch.  Now, we are considering the color of Aida fabric to use, and how much of a border to leave for framing.  Does anyone out there have suggestions on either topic?  Also, have you ever used StitchFiddle or another pattern creator?


Linking to Slow Sunday Stitching

 Slow Sunday Stitching

18 comments:

  1. ...you certainly are a patient, detailed person, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitchings are most amazing and to those of us with no talent like that we're in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go with a creamy fabric so the white dress shows up. I usually leave between 3 and 4 inches of fabric around the edge for framing especially if you may use matting. This is going to be a beautiful cross-stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the Botanical Blackwork stitch along is stunning. I'm sorry I have no experience with pattern creators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your embroidered hexies are gorgeous, Angie. The wedding cross stitch is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Angie,
    I love the stitched hexagons, they are beautiful. Love the pretty wedding photos. Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is tricky work. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Good for you for taking on this challenge. It will be a treasure for them for sure. The three photos from the wedding are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I am not a cross stitcher, I love the idea of the joined hands for your wedding cross stitch gift. Looking forward to seeing you starting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by. Good to hear from you again. Happy new year! I sewed my own wedding dress, but never did other needle arts. I still sew occasionally. It's a great thing to know how to do. It comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Angie
    I think your embroidered hexagons look great.
    I enjoyed seeing those three wedding photographs, and I like the design chosen for your project. I have no experience with stitching/embroidery but I look forward to seeing your progress.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your current project. Good luck with the design - that looks ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your hexagons Angie, I know nothing about cross stitch, love the hands idea though. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stitchery is amazing! I look forward to seeing the wedding stitchery. I've never done any counted cross stitching and had no idea there were online programs to convert photos into stitching. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Angie... I'm not familiar with these design services but I can see that it would be difficult to do a large photo... I'll be looking forward to seeing how your project turns out... what a wonderful thoughtful gift for the newlyweds. happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stitched hexagons are lovely, Angie, and what patience you have to stitch the image from your daughter's wedding. I've never done anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The photo your using is the one that I would have picked to stich. I've not used those services before but do remember reading about them a while back. I wonder if JoAnne has that service, or perhaps Mary Maxims? Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing your pictures as things progress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the work you've done on the botanical stitching. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...