Friday, April 7, 2017

Report: Week 5 of Retirement (or Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen)


Another one of my ‘goals’ for retirement has been to start cooking again.  Spousal Unit (chief cook and bottle washer for the last 20 years) welcomes this, but with a bit of smirk that becomes more and more understandable as time passes.          Exhibit A:
Me: “Why can’t I get the ice cubes out of the tray?”

Spousal Unit: “Try twisting the tray.”

Me: “Wow – it works.”
Spousal Unit: “You have so much to learn.”

Of course, my “rookie” status has led to some gentle hazing from the expert.  One morning, I offered to help with breakfast.  His response?
“Can you make the toast?”

Me: “Retirement is going to be fun – we better keep sharp objects out of the kitchen.”
Since then, we have partnered together to make several items (with no calls to 911). 

Pineapple Carrot Cake
Salmon Quinoa

Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
But I don’t think I am out of the woods yet.  As we prepared the shopping list for the sloppy joes, Spousal Unit remarked: “Do I need to draw you a map to Kroger?”

5 comments:

  1. My husband thinks I should own stock in our local grocery story. But truthfully, since I quit working, I don't shop as much since I have to go out of my way to get there. It used to be on the way to and from school. I'm at the point right now where I'm kinda tired of trying to think what to make. I could eat soup and salad every day, but hubby won't go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soousal Unit said the hardest part of cooking is deciding what to make, so you are not alone!

      Delete
  2. Have Mark show you the secret to his bourbon Pecan pie ♡

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...