Sunday, June 14, 2020

Mosaic Monday #84: Going Home

Hand-made postcard for Dear Neighbor Friend
“What’s round on the sides and high in the middle?”  Ohio!

And that is where I have been for the last week.  As I have mentioned in a past post, my mother got sick in late April, and the 14-day quarantine requirement made it impractical for me to visit.  You can bet that as soon as it was lifted, I was on my way!  (This will be a short-ish post; you can expect more in a future post.)

I have 5 living siblings, and I checked in with them on my plans – with my Mom’s advanced age (91!), I needed to be sure that everyone was comfortable with the notion.  A potential show-stopper?  Flying.  Do you see a plane as a Petri dish or one of the safest places to be with the new cleaning regimens and state-of-the art air filters?  

An N95 mask would mitigate many of our concerns, and I shopped the Web to no avail.  One of my older brothers obtained two, and just before he was set to mail me one, my Dear Neighbor Friend came to the rescue.  After this, I also found out that #1 Daughter had access to the same mask.  Never rains but it pours.

So the travel plans were made, and I went to the airport with no idea what to expect.  First, the parking lot at our small airport was nearly empty – unheard of for the Gateway to Glacier in early June.  Second, the boarding process was the most civilized I have ever seen – people truly waited for their row to be called (boarding is now by row, starting in the back) – rather than everyone standing up as soon as first class is mentioned.  Third, my first plane was only 30% full, and most folks were faithful to Delta’s policy that everyone must wear a mask unless eating or drinking.  (Unfortunately, three guys in the row ahead of me were not, and I was disappointed that the crew did not challenge them.)


Fourth, the “beverage service” is now a baggy with bottled water, a cookie, nuts, a Purel packet and a napkin.  If you were hoping for some Starbucks coffee or a bloody Mary, you are out of luck.  Fifth, the second flight was half full; I had three seats to myself.  I can’t think of the last time that happened.  Sixth, and perhaps most importantly, I was alone.  Before my departure, Spousal Unit and I tried to recall the last time we had been apart for a night or more.  Had to be before I retired three years ago.  I sure could have used him for comfort on the descent to Salt Lake City, when rollercoaster turbulence caused my life to flash before me!  Quite frankly, the whole adventure was like something out of Alice in Wonderland – only the hookah-smoking caterpillar was missing.
Hand-drawn postcard for Spousal Unit

My dear oldest sister retrieved me from the airport (the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is located south of Covington, Kentucky), and in Driving Miss Daisy style I was banished to the back seat, which was covered with a sheet.  Upon arrival at her house, the sheet and my clothing went in the washer while I scrubbed any evidence of the virus from my body.  Much more enjoyable to emerge and have a couple glasses of Chardonnay!










Flowers from my sister's garden
It had been suggested by my Mom’s doctor that I “quarantine” for a day or two before going to my Mom’s house, so I had a very pleasant Sunday with my sister before heading north.  The shade of her massive umbrella over the back deck created an ideal location for crafting - she worked a cross-stitch while I endeavored to create postcards for friends and family.  A slight breeze limited my sense of the heat and humidity, quite a change from the cool/dry environment of Montana.  The day was a wonderful interlude between the weird travel experience and what I anticipated would be an emotional 5 days with my Mom.   Come back next week to read about that!


Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Monday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us.
 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

45 comments:

  1. ...flying is going to be a show-stopper for me for a long while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I had to stop seeing my respite client, age 96. The government has stepped up, and they have 8 hours care a day, now. Her live-in caregiver daughter is 73. I don't think I'll ever see my client again, as she is failing. I am so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with the care taken with every step throughout the journey to your mom. Gives me hope that some folks really care about not causing risks to loved ones or anyone, for that matter. Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you go to go visit but flying would be too scary for us these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not remembering my last flight, its long time ago... I believe, its nowadays an adventure. Good health for your Mom.

    And I admire the lovely card of your Neighbor Friend, about Ohio.

    Stay healthy and well.
    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last flight was from Ireland in October. And yes, a petri dish is what they are. But if you want to travel sometimes that what you have to do! So glad you got to Cincinnati! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was interested in reading about your flying experience. We have been thinking about flying back down to Arizona to check on our RV before a long hot summer in storage. I'm sure it will be okay, but it would be nice to have a small window cracked to let the intense heat out. First the spike in Arizona cases hit and that was followed by 100+ daily temperatures. We abandoned the idea for now, maybe an early fall trip if the projected September spike doesn't arrive. We've invested too much with our nearly four month self isolation. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have had a wonderful visit with your family and safe travels back to your hubby and lovely home.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to visit with your mother, Angie! That must have been so pleasant for you you both. Flying sounds like a new adventure but from your report it went well except for those who did not wear their masks. I'm not sure why there is such resistance to that these days? When we were shopping for groceries recently a man loudly sneezed right next to me! Happily he was wearing a mask, so at least I felt somewhat protected from his germs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you were able to visit your mom and am looking forward to hearing more about how the actual visit went. . And was very interested in your experience flying... we are already thinking a little bit about when (or whether) ... and how ... we will get back to our Winter home in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh PS (a few hours later) ...showed your post to Bill (my spousal unit ;) ) because of the flying part... but on re-reading, we were both interested in why your mom’s Dr suggested a two-day “quarantine” before you saw her (why *2* days?) The recommendations and/or suggestions change every minute and I’m still thinking about whether or when it will be safe for us to visit out-of-town family. We were told 2 weeks isolation when we got home from Florida (not very practical unless you plan to stay for months..as we were here, so then it was no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good health to your Mother and of course to you all too. So glad you got to go visit not only your Mother but sister too.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your descriptions of your travels. And yes at the moment I feel like any sort of travel - plane, train, bus is a petri dish at the moment. I quiet happy in my little bubble. To have 3 seats to yourself would have been luxury. I am so glad you were able to travel to see your Mum. Enjoy the rest of your week, and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Angie,
    I am so glad you were able to travel and visit with your Mom. I hope she is doing well. I am still weary of traveling on a plane, But I would love to travel somewhere. Your plane flight sounds easy and not very crowded. I have heard some different stores about crowded flights. Take care and stay well! Thanks for hosting MM. Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flying has become a lot more complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am amazed you were able to go at all. Your mother is 91 years of age. Amazing :) And. you are from Salt Lake city?? I think I went through there many years ago I have to check my albums about it. :)

    Await your next post. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your trip sounded a little fraught in places but you came through and managed some extra time with your sister too. I hope your visit with your Mum went well and that you returned home to Spousal Unit safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy mosaic Monday.

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can certainly identify with your trip, Angie, as last week I visited my 95-year-old father who lives alone in country Victoria. I went by train, which was also sparsely populated with passengers and reeked of disinfectant. A weird experience, but it was good to catch up with Dad face-to-face. He says he'll survive this pandemic and couple more if need be... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. PPS: I'm sure your mum will love your visit, Angie! Enjoy your stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Angie,
    Your flying experience sounds very interesting. It reminds me of the empty flights and the long recovery to normal flying after 9-11. It sounds like precautions are mostly taken to heed. I'm glad you had a good visit with your sister, and look forward to reading about your time with your mom.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a flying experience. I have been wanting to visit my best friend in Charlotte, but I am honestly hesitant to get on a plane. Maybe I will drive from Minnesota. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you had a good visit. Seeing family is great (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  24. You go through all of that and can't even get a Bloody Mary on the plane! Glad your visit was good :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just flew too. A can of water and bag of snacks. But I love the empty middle seat! The lurking coronavirus not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Angie, that's a cool postcard. It reminds me of 1930s illustrations. I thought you bought it. Too bad about those guys without masks. If I were to judge without knowing anything more, I'd call them dimwits.
    Hope all's well with your mom and you have a lovely visit. Cheers, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Angie, You brave soul! I understand wanting to see one's Mom, though. I hope that it will all work out! Thanks for sharing and have a great week with your mother. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! I've wondered about traveling now with all the extra precautions and you've answered a lot of my questions. I'm glad you had a chance to go and I know you were happy to get to spend time with your Mother. Times have changed so much in these past few months and I doubt if we'll ever return to what we considered normal in the past. Take care and have a good week. I love the postcard you drew! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My daughter took a plane trip and found everything uncrowded. I wouldn't dare because I'm older. Glad you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Angie, It was so good to read about your real travel experiences during this weird time. How nice that you were given the go ahead to be able to travel to see your dear mum. I think I could picture that ride home from the airport. People are really on a wide scale of comfort levels moving back from isolation. One thing for sure you can't control the masses. Airlines have more say for sure. Love your postcard creations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Angie – I read your flying experience with more interests. People act orderly, which will last after the new corona, I hope. I’m interested in how business is done to stop the spread of the virus. I’m happy for your mother that she could see her daughters again. Hope her hydrangeas will bloom nice and fresh. Take care.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  32. As you can imagine Angie, internal fights is something we rarely do in tiny UK. Not looking forward to our potential flight to Greece in September and all the restrictions. Flying is no longer fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i have never heard ohio described in that way, how cool that is. i must tell my niece as she went to school there and is living there now!!!

    i have wondered about flying, i think the beverage service they have come up with is ideal. i have heard/read that you cannot fly without a mask, there is always someone who can't follow the rules although they must not be required!!!

    the hand drawn postcard is a real winner, you have such talent!!

    ps...the postmaster said my postcards were too small to be mailed alone, so i had to put them in envelopes. i thought it may be better anyway, they probably would have gotten crumpled being so small!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Brave woman ~ what an adventure, 'Alice' ~ glad you could visit Mom ~ 91 ~ Wow! ~ Glad you are safe ~

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an experience! No flights for me to the UK yet as both Sweden and the UK are seen as hot spots. Hope your mum is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. We won't be flying anytime soon. Hope your mother is doing well and you had a wonderful visit. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That's quite a journey. Good thing you're all okay. I'm not planning to fly any time soon as we'd want to let this pandemic go before flying again. Stay safe! :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's quite a journey. Good thing you're all okay. I'm not planning to fly any time soon as we'd want to let this pandemic go before flying again. Stay safe! :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, how travelling in a plane has changed. How fabulous you had three seats to yourself....unheard of. I laughed at "Miss Daisy style". Fabulous you were able to visit with your mum and siblings and make new memories, Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You had quite the journey. Glad you could visit with family and that all are OK. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Travelling has changed in these Covid 19 times, as have many aspects of life …
    I am so pleased you were able to visit with your mother, and spend time with your sister - such a blessing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing your travel experience. Glad you took all the precautions and that you were able to visit your mother and sister.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's good you were able to visit when you did because it now seems that some of the airlines have done away with these types of safety measures. The truth is, we all just need to use common sense and have consideration for others. Sadly, that seems to be somewhat difficult for certain individuals. :/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...