Sunday, May 1, 2022

Mosaic Monday #175: Five Years in Montana

Tomorrow, May 2, marks the fifth anniversary of our migration from Ohio to Montana.  Coincidently, tomorrow we will also be flying home from the UK to Montana, an apt parallel that marks the length of our journey since we first began dating in the Northeast of England in February 1990.  What an adventure it has been! 

I have written many posts about Montana, and trying to choose my favorites would be time-consuming and just more work than I am willing to do!  So, I am taking the easy way out, and highlighting (mostly) the posts that were published on dates closest to the May 2 anniversary.  (I might cheat now and then and throw in an extra post that represents a particularly important event in the last five years, but hey! whose blog is this anyway?)


Day 6 - Malta, Montana (5/2/2017)

With two cars, two cats and a parakeet, we had made it this far.  "Overnight we are in Malta, a town nestled along the Milk River (think chocolate milk), the railroad that runs from Chicago to Whitefish and beyond, and Highway 2, which will take us to Whitefish tomorrow."


"So, tomorrow, we will finish our emigration, and we are very excited.  To celebrate, we cracked open a bottle of Honey Jack, which we have been saving since last Memorial Day.  This wasn't just any bottle - it is one that was given to us by dear friends at that time, with a note that said 'Can only be opened in the state of Montana.'  Guys, it's open now!"


Day 7 - Whitefish, Montana
 (5/5/2017)

"Finally, we arrived at the town house, home for the next 9 months or so.  The menagerie was glad to unpack the cars (completely) and get settled in. At least, when we weren't too busy looking at the view from the master bedroom!"

Keep Calm and Carry On (3/22/2018)

"June 23, 2016, the day that two-thirds of our household possessions were packed and transferred to a United Van Lines warehouse near Cleveland, Ohio.  And on March 19, 2018, Billy, Eric and Levi delivered them to our new house near Kila, Montana." 



To Infinity and Beyond (4/21/2018)

"The nights here are quiet, with a velvet black sky littered with sparkling stars.  Fresh, crisp air enters your lungs with each deep breath you unconsciously draw, the body's natural reaction to the serenity and awe of standing underneath the mighty constellations.  An occasional sighing sound reaches your ears as the breeze rustles the pine boughs.  Another deep breath brings the scent of earth and living things.  No longer just the figment of my dreams, this is my new reality - as of April 14, our new log house is HOME!"


Graduate with Hat 
(5/3/2018)

"#1 Daughter (AKA Graduate with Hat) graduated from the University of Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) on April 28.  

"A whirlwind week with family and friends began quietly at my sister's house with a morning garden walk.  I used to claim Autumn as my favorite season, but these days I give my affection to Spring.  Pregnant buds giving birth to unblemished leaves.  Vibrant floral hues taking over from the gray of winter.  The promise of fruit hidden within the flowers.  All of it a fitting metaphor for the bright-eyed hope of spring commencement."

Dithering April (5/5/2019)

"The ski season ended with a cool vibe as Whitefish Mountain Resort hosted Employee Ski/Ride Day.  In keeping with the "fun" character of the resort, costumes were encouraged and each department adopted a theme to identify its employees.  In the case of the Mountain Ambassadors, everyone decked out in retro/60s gear.  We don't often get the opportunity to ski/board at the same time, so this was treasured team bonding."


We have been blessed to build a number of strong friendships in Montana; for Spousal Unit, many of them are fishing buddies drawn from the Ambassador group.  In my case, God led me to a soul sister just across the street - Dear Neighbor Friend.  Our journeys in life have been vastly different, but we share a deep love for God, and a profound appreciation of the outdoors and the flora and fauna that live within it.  I am so grateful to have this beautiful person in my world. 

In the five years we have lived in Montana, we have lost all of our feathered and furred traveling companions.  Tom the parakeet died while we were still living in Whitefish as our log home was being built.  Josie passed on September 20, 2019, and I celebrated her life in this post.  A year later, I paid tribute to Maggie in this post after her passing on September 21, 2020.  I am so glad that they made the journey to Montana with us.



A "Wait"-y Month 
(5/3/2020)

"#1 Son celebrated his birthday during the month, and on one our Skype calls he jokingly threw up a picture of a $800 Lego set of the Millennium Falcon, with “Birthday?” scrawled across it.  We couldn’t (and wouldn’t) get close to buying it for him, so I did the next best thing and stitched him up a Falcon.  This joined several other quirky items meant to create a mini-Grand Cayman care package – sun cream, mini bottles of rum, a sea shell, biryani recipe, cardamoms and bay leaves.  After all, it became very apparent as April marched on, that we would not be going to Grand Cayman to celebrate his college graduation.  This care package would have to do for now.In the end, there was no graduation ceremony and no trip to Grand Cayman.  Glacier National Park cancelled all backcountry camping permits that summer, and the Alaska fishing trip for Man with Hat  was cancelled.  It was tempting to complain, but not in the face of thousands of people dying around the world from COVID.

Three Years in Montana (5/10/2020)

"Can you believe it?  May 3, 2020 marked the third anniversary of our arrival in Montana.  (If you need a refresher on our epic cross-country journey, check out this post.)  I perused my blog and came to the shocking realization that I have not written about this anniversary.  You can read posts about the firstsecond and third recurrence of my retirement, but you will find zip, zero, zilch about an event that was a decade in the planning. Well, I ask you - what's more significant, the retirement or the destination?  It's the destination, my friends.  So, I am about to rectify this disappointing oversight.  Buckle your seat belts, and welcome to Montana!"  This collection of 32 pictures and collages is a photographic diary and National Geographic magazine rolled into one.  Featuring some of my best photos from those three years, you can quickly experience hikes, Halloween fun in Whitefish, skiing, critters of all kinds, my garden and our house.  Here are just a few.




Since our arrival in Montana, we have been honored to host a number of guests, documented in the collages below.  Would you like to add your name and comments to our guest book?







Under the Weather (5/2/2021)

"I need a distraction.  I had my second COVID shot yesterday, and I am racked with chills, a headache and a tight feeling across my chest.  I have no appetite, much less a desire to write a blog post right now.  Also, it has been a tough week for other reasons that I am not prepared to write about at this moment.  But maybe focusing on something other than my symptoms would be beneficial.  This might be a short post, or maybe I will get a second wind."  I did recover, and this post recounts fun Spring activities such as visiting baby goats, coloring Easter eggs and celebrating the birthday of #1 Son.  Looking at this collage is especially poignant since I am typing this particular section on his 24th birthday!  As I have written in other posts, we relished a year of his living at home AND we are thrilled that he moved on to Idaho Falls after landing the job with the Idaho National Laboratory.

Keeping Her Memory Alive (5/9/2021)

"On April 28, 2021, my Mom joined my father, one of my sisters, a beloved niece and all of her siblings in Heaven.  If it is like any other family reunion I have attended, it would begin with Mass.  Faith was front and center for the German Catholic families on both sides, and especially for my Mom; you wouldn’t think to begin anything without having given thanks to God.  And THEN you could tuck into the bountiful buffet before you – home-made fried chicken, roast beef, chicken with noodles, potato salad, Jell-O with the requisite shredded carrots or cabbage, and desserts that seem to outnumber the stars in the sky."  It is hard to believe that 12 months have passed since her death.  I think of her often, and miss her terribly.  It is especially at family celebrations, or significant life events, that I wish she could be with us.  Such as ...

The Engagement (11/7/2021)

The engagement of #1 Daughter and The Boyfriend while the entire family was on vacation in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  "Later, over dinner, The Boyfriend would recall the minutes leading up to his proposal.  His heart was about to pop out of his chest, while #1 Son and I leisurely read the historical information.  And I was shooting a picture of a bush, of all things, while he was trying to get me, the better photographer, to focus on what was about to happen.  Oh my!  And this is how wonderful family stories, ones that get handed down and told repeatedly, are made!"

The moral of the story?  The circle of life continues.  Children grow up, get married and move away.  World events can impact us in ways we can't possibly anticipate.  Parents and friends age, and some of them have made it to heaven before us.  At the least, we cope.  At the best, we adapt and thrive. On the fifth anniversary of "living our dream", I am reminded - don't become complacent.  I pray to God that I will be blessed enough in five years' time to give you another such report, chock full of new adventures!



Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Tuesday (U.S. Mountain time).
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog.
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back.
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by.
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully.
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us. 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

38 comments:

  1. ...let the good time roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully blessed and full life … not in small part thanks to your zest for living and appreciating the moments as they fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A special time travel here in this post, I enjoyed reading about. Day by day. I think, I understood in many things.

    And of course, Angie, it's in your own feeling which dates you prefer. I call it 'Bauchgefühl' what mean good feeling. It's necessary to do this, in my opinion.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos from your 5 years in Montana. You have a lovely home in a beautiful state. Keep living your dream! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Montana has proved to be great for you - I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations to the fine 5 years. May you have many more to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post -- thanks for sharing your look-back at 5 wonderful years of Montana living -- and coming from you to us all the way from England! Beautiful post and an ideal way to celebrate this anniversary. May you enjoy many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You home is beautiful as is your special neck of the woods. Happy 5 Years Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, long may the friendships, love of your house and surrounds , family and friendd gatherings continue. I would love to put my name in your visitors book!!! But I am a long way away! Congratulations on 5 wonderful years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 5 year anniversary of life in Montana! We will celebrate 10 years in Colorado in January 2023. The time has passed so quickly but it has also been so full of wonderful experiences for us borth in the west. Cheers to many more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing journey, Angie! Wishing you many more happy one. I am really glad that your feathered and furred traveling companions made it there with you.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. A delightful look back over the last 5 years - happy anniversary! I seem to remember you moving into the log house, and thinking what a wonderful dream come true it must be. Wishing you many more happy years there. Stay safe, and thank you again for the link up - apologies I am linking last week's post, I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a journey, dear Angie! :-)
    I only knew Malta as a beautiful island state in the Mediterranean, now I know that there is also a Malta in Montana. Your log house looks fantastic - and anyway, Montana is (after everything I've seen about it so far - mainly nature programs on TV) a fantastically beautiful country. Wonderful that you have found good friends here, even a soul sister. Unfortunately there were also farewells in the 5 years, sadly that's a part of life, we have to go through it. I want to read your posts about your cats. Your post also has a personal meaning for me, because this year (September 1) it's been 20 years since we moved from Vienna to our house in the country. Even in those years there were goodbyes (my mother-in-law, my father, my mother, friends, my cat Maxwell) and new beginnings. Looking back, one becomes a bit wistful, but also extremely grateful for the life one is allowed to lead.
    My blog today is about "Wanderlust" - it's taking part in a blog parade and it made me think of you right away - maybe you'd like to get involved, it's open until the last Saturday in May. I think you will have to tell about hikes in Great Britain, you can link them there (please with backlink) if you like :-)
    I hope you had a safe flight home!
    All the best and Happy May, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/05/wanderlust-blogparade-der-u30blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Angie - Happy anniversary of your life in Montana. Though the saddest incident included, all in all you look to have enjoyed your life fullest. “To Infinity and Beyond” is one of my memorable posts of yours. Wishing you more smiles in coming years with nice people, wildlife, fresh air, starry sky, etc.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made a wise migration years ago. I hope you had a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've lived life to the fullest these past 5 years and I know you love your new home. I've learned a lot about Montana and would love to visit! Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like Montana life agrees with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post, Angie. Happy anniversary, I wish you many more happy years and many more celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you found a good place to live. My first post home you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have read more, you really do live in a dream home

      Delete
  20. I don't know much about Montana! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on 5 years! Wow, so much has happened in those 5 years. Glad you have settled in so well in Montana. We met several people from Montana at a memorial service we had at our church on Saturday. The dear gal who died back in December started her hygienist career in Montana many years ago but left a great impact and the dentist and others she worked with traveled to Colville for her memorial.
    Welcome home from Britain...if I read correctly. Looking forward to hearing about your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember when you moved into your beautiful log home. Sounds like you are still living the good life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a beautiful home, Angie!

    Happy 5th Anniversary!

    Wishing you a lifetime of joie de vivre!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely post and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful times, wonderful memories ~ Happy 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So much can happen in five years, Angie. Your time in Montana has been full of family events happy and sad, and of enjoying the world around you. Wonderful memories to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a great round up. Can't believe it's been 5 years. A lot has certainly happened. The good and the bittersweet along the way. Cheers to many more adventures and happy times.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful series on Montana, lovely over in 5 years, some good and some sad. Excellent the words and pictures Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy anniversary of your life in Montana! It's always nice to read your posts about life there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. We visited Whitefish, Montana several years ago and it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a beautiful post, Angie recalling the joys, blessings and sadnesses of your last five years. Your words have spoken to my heart and caused me to smile. Oh, the awe-inspiring views from those panoramic windows! Why, I don't think I would ever get up from the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful recap of your journey. Onward you go!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank for providing good information for site,Thanks for your sharing.
    ចាក់បាល់

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...