Sunday, December 27, 2020

Mosaic Monday #111: The Twelve Posts of 2020

Here we are, with only five days remaining in 2020.  It has become popular to refer to 2020 as the year everyone is willing to forget without a backward look.  Adios.  Sayonara.  Au Revoir.  In my case, I prefer to cherish the good memories, AND look forward to a return to all that has been missing from our lives.  And what better way to re-visit the happy times of 2020 than to scroll through my blog posts?

In honor of the twelve days of Christmas, I have chosen the dozen posts that stood out for me.  (By the way, I am not referring to the song, The Twelve Days of Christmas, but rather the period in Christian theology that marks the span between the birth of Christ and the coming of the Magi.)  I have not attempted to rank them from 1 to 12, but to simply list them in order of appearance.  It's the holidays, and I don't want to make this post any more work than necessary!

Don't Go with the Glaciers - January 19, 2020

This post struck me for its wise words (written to myself!), and this was BEFORE the pandemic struck the US with full force, and BEFORE the election took over our lives.  I wrote about altering reality by taking action.  Ensuring that I have the facts rather than making assumptions.  Ensuring that my picture of reality is balanced.  Continuing to hope.  Note to self - this might be worth reading once a month!

Thank you for being my friend - January 29, 2020

This post was a tribute to my blogging friends as I approached my third year in the blogosphere.  It also featured this photograph, which Spousal Unit selected as the background for our 2020 Christmas card.  I gave him forty to choose from!!!

You "Otter" See This! - March 1, 2020

No explanation required, right?  It was the photogenic otter down by the lake!  

Let's Go to the Beach - April 5, 2020

I think I picked this primarily for its pretty pictures.  Who can resist hibiscus and sunsets?  But it also plucked at the heart strings - don't we all long to return to a world that allows us to jet off to distant countries with nothing more to concern us than making sure we pack a swimsuit and some flip-flops?

Three Years in Montana - May 10, 2020

Being here for three years is reason enough to include this one!  In addition, it contains a fabulous pictorial summary of those 36 months.  It reminded me of flipping through a stack of National Geographics - one grandiose mountain vista after another!  Down-selecting to one shot to include here was incredibly difficult!

Emerging (Part 2) - June 7, 2020

I am a sucker for wildlife, and this post includes beaver and my buddy, the badger.  Plus, Montana was in full spring fling; looking at these photos of flowers and birds now, it is almost hard to imagine that our world was a rainbow rather than the monochromatic palette we have now!

Icing on the Cake - June 28, 2020

This post documents time that I spent with my kids during a trip to Ohio, after the travel restrictions had been lifted.  While we Skype with our children every week whether we are in lockdown or not, I think we would all agree that there is no substitute for seeing family in person.  The visit took on an importance and almost an urgency that would have been missing without the pandemic.  It was a wonderful visit in so many ways.


A-Campin' We Did Go - July 19, 2020

This camping trip catapulted Granite Lake into the top 5 of hikes completed in the last 3 years (and there have been 56 unrepeated hikes in that time - on other words, it has stiff competition).  Of course it deserves to be in the top 12 posts!



Hazy Lazy Days - August 26, 2020

We welcomed #1 Son home with this post.  If that wasn't enough, this is another entry that I chose simply because I liked the photos, and since it linked up with my favorite linky parties.  In hindsight, it was also less than one month before Maggie died.  In this post, she is melting into a sun puddle, one of her favorite places in the house.  


Family Fun - August 30, 2020

This post is about primo family time during a visit from #1 Daughter and The Boyfriend.  With #1 Son already in residence, it made the week even more exceptional.  (and the huckleberry pie with ice cream didn't hurt, either!)



The Maggie Tribute - September 27, 2020

I still "see" her in the house.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could swear I see her perched on the arm of the couch, or curled up on the heating vent.  Occasionally, I imagine that I hear her claws click-clack-clicking on the wood floor.  And then reality comes crashing back and my heart is broken all over again.  She was a huge part of our lives and this tribute had to be in the top 12.

My Escape - October 4, 2020

This is number 12, and ironically, I think it is my overall favorite.  I like the writing style - quite often, my posts take on a travelogue, "just the facts, ma'am" style, whereas this post is more contemplative.  Coincidentally, the book I was reading, "Ring of Bright Water", perfectly suited the post.  The photos are colorful as we entered the fall season.  But perhaps most of all, I imagine this post captured the sentiment that many of us experienced at that moment in history.  

"... it is the best and the worst that one remembers, seldom the mediocrities that lie between and demand no attention."   Ring of Bright Water

I took a few minutes to breathe deeply, attempting to imprint upon my memory the yellow of aspen torches reflected in the water.  How I wanted to freeze this moment, to preserve the profound sense of contentment and ease that permeated my being.  Perhaps the best I can hope for is to remember my escape, and to call forth its restorative powers when I need them next.  I choose to be grateful for the hours of solitude that I had, rather than resentful of leaving them behind.  

From 10/4/2020 post

Welcome to Mosaic Monday, a weekly meme where we get together to share our photo mosaics and collages.
Please include at least one photo mosaic/collage in your post.
The link will be open from 1 p.m. Sunday until 11 p.m. Tuesday (U.S. Mountain time). 
Remember to add the link to your Mosaic Monday post and not the one to your blog. 
Please link back to this post so that your readers will be able to visit and enjoy more wonderful mosaics; taking the MM blog button from my sidebar is an easy way to link back. 
As host I will visit every participant and leave a comment so that you know I stopped by. 
Please try and visit as many other blogs as you can, especially those that join in later, so that everyone's creativity can be appreciated fully. 
Thank you for joining in today and sharing your mosaics with us. 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

29 comments:

  1. ...the image from January 29, 2020 makes a picture perfect Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were goodies! Happy New Year from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Angie!
    Beautiful mosaics and images and a wonderful review of your year. I love the otter, what a cute capture. I missed traveling but 2020 was not that bad of a year for me. I can not complain. Spending your time with your family, hiking, camping and just any outdoor activity is fun. Thank you for hosting MM this past year, I appreciate your comments and visit to my blog. I wish you all the best in 2021, a happy and healthy New Year! Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice 12 post review, Angie. It certainly has been a remarkable year. And i do agree to counting blessings.
    Thanks for hosting us even in pandemic Mondays

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely look back over popular blog posts from this year. it has certainly been a "different" year. I look forward to a better 2021 for us all. Many thanks for hosting this year. Take care and be safe. There is always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right … it’s too easy to forget there were also moments of joy to glean from this terrible year. I was struck by the sun puddle. Feeling our loved lost pets nearby hasn’t stopped as the years go by. Sometimes it’s a ghostly sensation of a pat and a cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Angie, it's a lot to read and I agree with several points. Especially the thoughts in back times. But we do our best now in this difficult period.

    Wish you a very good last week. Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reflecting on what occurred in 2020, Angie, I saw in my posts many many references to the disasters and the misfortunes we all lived through. Yes, there were good moments, but I personally felt almost guilty as I was enjoying them, knowing that so many around the world were suffering or dying. Still we live, we take heart from the joyous things and try to aid as much as we can those who are dire need of a helping hand. My best wishes for a health-filled, happy and prosperous 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: OK, here is a more optimistic review of 2020 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've had a full year and a lot of beautiful moments. We've spent more time out in nature and that has helped us through it all. Happy New year! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Angie :) I loved this look back on 2020! I don't consider 2020 to be a bad year for me, and certainly not a year I want to forget! 2020 was the year I bought my first home, left that horrible province of Quebec and planted my roots in New Brunswick! I can't see it as a bad memory at all. The pandemic has certainly affected many people in a negative way, but it hasn't really affected me at all, considering I'm quite a recluse and I live in an area of rural Canada where there hasn't been any major outbreaks. Having said that, I'm grateful for every moment and still take very safe precautions when I leave my haven. I loved the Otter post. Thanks for hosting this lovely Mosaic Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The power of 12. Happy New Year! I hope the next twelve months are coronavirus free for all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great way to look back on 2020 and I like your outlook. Having a blog really affords us to look back and see the real story of what went on in our lives. I appreciate that. We are still in the throes of the holidays with our kids still here and it's 3 meals a day and lots of dishwashing. Since Dear and I when we are on our own only eat a meal a day we are feeling a bit lethargic from all the food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your year was more exciting than mine! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Angie. This is a post filled with highlights of this past year, and it's good to remember among all the drama and angst that good things did happen. I'm looking forward to 2021 with hope and optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many thanks for sharing these highlights.
    It is so important for us all to remember the good, and there has been good mixed in with the not so good, as we now move into 2021.
    Sending my good wishes and hoping that 2021 will be a better and happy one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good stuff - how nice to see smiles and happiness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the best for the coming year, dear Angie.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos, beautiful scenery Angie. Happy new year 2021, I hope that we can enjoy ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Angie.

    I agree with you. We should now be looking forward and try to forget the bad things of 2020.

    I’m so pleased you are enjoying Britain’s Habitats. It’s certainly a one-off book but sadly, it will be off the radar of so many who should and could read it. I hope you get to see at least some of those places on your next visit to Great Britain.

    Yes, in 2021 we have our country back. Watch us fly.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed all your good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful memories, Angie. Happy New Year and onward we go.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Granite lake...the July image looks wonderful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All the very best for 2021, Angie. perhaps by the end of the year life will be back to something approaching normal! We can only hope. I sure miss not being able to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had some great posts in 2020. You are a talented photographer writer.
    I love the post about your cat. We lost our ginger this year and some mornings when I let our two dogs out first thing in the morning, I sometimes turn looking for her.
    2020 taught a lot of people, including me, to be thankful for what we do have.
    I am wishing you and your family a happy, healthy, and productive 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had a busy year and I'm glad that you enjoyed life. We stayed close to home--which is getting old. Happy New Year to you and your family. Looking forward to another year of Monday Mosaics. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful memories and like you I am choosing to see the positive. You've had a blessed year my friend.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...